Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Victory Field - August 4, 2007

Date: Saturday, August 4, 2007

Time: 6:30 pm

Location: Victory Field, Indianapolis, IN

Collective Soul, Live, and Counting Crows

It was hot out Saturday the 4th, and rain lurked, but we weren't about to miss a triple dip of 90's bands. So, Becky, our friend Jean and I made our way to Victory Field for the show.

The gates had yet to open when we arrived, so we had to stand in line for what seemed like forever. This is the part of the concert going experience that I just don't understand. Why aren't the doors opened after sound check? Why do you have to wait an hour before the show?? As we waited, we noticed a large bus parked to the right of us. A few long-haired guys bounced out and started talking to a small crowd of people. I knew right away they had to be important people, but I didn't know them.






Kinda hard to see in this photo, but it's the guys with the faded black tee shirts and jeans on. They were getting their picture taken, signing autographs and the like. The guy in front of us in line boldly went over and joined the crowd. When he returned, we found out it was a Meet and Greet with Collective Soul, and it cost $100 per person...(somehow, the guy was able to get in line, shake hands with the band and get their autographs without paying the 100 bucks)...I felt stupid for not knowing that was Collective Soul, but I never really listened to them anyway, so, whatever.


We finally were let into the area and found a seat. Being General Admission, coupled with the fact that we arrived fairly early, we were able to grab 4th row seats. Well, 4th row behind the "floor" section, which was right on the field. We...well, I know at least I didn't want to stand, so we sat.


Collective Soul took the stage first, and I was surprised by how tight their music was. I knew more of their stuff than I thought, too. I always pegged them as a one or two hit wonder, but they had at least 6 or 7 songs that I clearly remember being overplayed on the radio. Towards the end, the lead singer had to break up an audience fight, which was kinda funny.

"No, we don't do that shit here!"

I also enjoyed how they threw some AC/DC into the solo of their new song...guess you had to be there.



(Collective Soul in action...click photo to enlarge)


Next to hit the stage was Live.







Live ...LIVE!!
(Again, click on photo to enlarge...sorry, Jean, I guess I didn't take any pictures of Ole Eddie Boy without his shirt!!)

Sorry, it wsa too dark to get Counting Crows pictures...BOO!!!

After a 20 minute intermission, Adam Duritz took the stage (lead singer of Counting Crows.) He started their set by talking about the upcoming album, which I thought was a strange way to start a set. Then, they broke into a new song...one no one knew...that was slow. It was kinda a downer, but then they perked up. If you've never been to a Crows show, I highly recommend it. They are always good shows, and Adam puts SO much into the live show, that it really makes it worth it.

About 3 or 4 songs into the set, the rain started. We got soaked, but we were still having fun.
Overall, it was a pretty good show. I was impressed by all three bands, especially playing in an open aired, make-shift place like Victory Field. The rain kinda sucked, but I didn't care cause I-E-I ammmmm...the Raiiiiiiin Kiiiiing....YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!!

(I was all excited with the prospect of hearing Rain King as we sat getting soaked...but for some reason, they didn't play it. Oh well...)

No comments: