Monday, September 10, 2007

Blue Car Blues: Part III - The Conclusion

When I finally received a call, it had been a full week...and it seemed the car STILL wasn't finished. They figured out the problem went a little deeper than just a "blown amp." It seems that:

The amp was blown.

They replaced it.

The amp blew again.

They replaced it again.

The amp blew AGAIN.

They realized something was blowing the amp (wow, you think?)

It was the main board, and of course, they had to order a new one (and a new amp.) Because we needed the car for our Lake Cumberland trip, I told them I was coming to get it, and they would have to fix it at another time. When I arrived the next day, it appeared they had attempted to fix the dent (it's still kinda there), and the floor mats had arrived! (But the back floor mats didn't fit for the second row of seats, so we had to put it in front of the third row seating, oh well.)

I asked for the keys, and the receptionist asked for my name. I told her and she proceeded to pull out a file and asked me for $823 to cover the repairs.

Me: "What?"

Her: "Your total comes to $823.17."

Me: "No."

Her: *stunned look

Me: "Hell no, there isn't a charge on this, I'm not paying."

She looked at the paperwork again, and realized it wasn't my paperwork. Turns out they didn't even write any paperwork up for me, they didn't need to. You see, my bill was zero.

I drove the car off and it worked great on our trip (they even rigged the stereo to work, albeit only from a few speakers, for the trip.)

Fast forward one week.

I took the car back in for the last time, and after a few days of driving the crappy Grand Prix again, they called and my car was finished. I popped in Sgt Pepper's by the Beatles and enjoyed the crisp surround sound of the car's speakers. I was a little disappointed they didn't hook up the stereo controls on the steering wheel (on the back of the wheel there are little buttons to adjust the volume, change stations, etc so you don't have to take your hands off the wheel) but I'm not going to take it back to that place again. I don't think I can handle another week driving that Grand Prix!!

No comments: