Friday, April 18, 2008

E A R T H Q U A K E ! ! ! ! ! !

It sounded like a freight train...er, wait, that's what they usually say about tornadoes. Ok, I have nothing catchy to express that central Indiana was rocked today by an earthquake!! (Rocked very gently, but rocked none the less!!)

Want proof??



BAM!! Channel 8 this morning reported that an earthquake was recorded at 5:38 am this Friday morning, April 18th, 2008. The earthquake originated in South-Eastern Illinois and rippled throughout Indiana. The quake registered 5.4 on the Richter Scale.


(Browny Brown-Suit guy and Joy Dumandan bow their heads in respect of the massive quake.)

I was in bed when the quake hit. I was asleep (duh, it was 5:38 in the am!) and the bed started rocking, and not in a good way. I sat up and Becky came walking in from the bathroom.

Becky: "Was that an earthquake?"
Me: "Heck, I don't know...is it raining outside? Is the wind blowing hard?" (Come on, I was half asleep, and we live on a busy road...it's not unlikely for a big truck to rattle our walls...of course, I asked about wind, but it's the same effect, alright? Get off my back, geez!!)
Becky: "No, it looks calm."

And it was calm...calm except for the earthquake, that is. Becky said she saw the shower moving and then stop. A few seconds later, it began again for about 10 seconds. I only remember about 4 seconds of bed moving, so I almost missed it entirely.

I know some Joe in California is probably reading this and saying, "5.4? Big freakin' deal..." I know, I know...but this is the first time in my 31 years that I have felt an earthquake in Indiana. So, for us Hoosiers, it is a big deal!

Hopefully, it's not a sign of things to come!!

Leave a comment and tell me about your earthquake experience!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tony,
I was in bed as well. Hank had already left for work because he had to be there extra early that day. I woke up to feel the shaking and starting yelling because I thought Tyler had woke up and was doing something. It took me a little while to really wake up and realize it was an earthquake! Sue