Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Hidden Treasure

How often do you see a show on tv where someone is flipping around a yard sale and stumble upon an original Declaration of Independence, or a piece of junk that ends up being worth a fortune? It seems to happen to everyone except us, am I right? Well, my golden find came a few months back.

No, I didn't find anything that was worth a fortune, but it was a great find for me!

We were at the Flea Markets over towards Brown County when I spied a box of cd's on the ground. There was another guy picking through them, so I started looking around, viewing the vendors other wears while I waited. I found a nice Led Zeppelin Biography, and for some reason, I picked it up and opened it.



Inside, I found it was signed and inscribed by the author of the book, Richard Cole, the band's former Tour Manager!



I asked the vendor how much the book was...

.25 cents!

A sweet score! But it gets better.

The other guy was taking his sweet time, so I asked him if I could jump in and check the discs out with him. I flipped thought the discs and picked out a few. A Jane's Addiction, a David Bowie, and a JJ Cale CD for my dad.

"Those are $1 each today," the lady said.

The other guy left empty handed, and I started to the checkout with 3 cd's, and the score of the day, the signed Richard Cole, Zep book. As she was getting a bag, I enquired about an Abbey Road puzzle that was sitting on the table. Another $1.

So, $4.25 was the damage. I searched my pockets, and couldn't find the spare change, so I gave her a $20. Hard times had apparently befallen the vendor, as she couldn't change my $20. Making another search, I came up with $2.42. After the surrounding vendors refused to make change from my $20, I asked her if she would take the $2.42.

She agreed.

Later that night, I was looking at my purchases of the day. The Bowie CD grabbed my attention, because it was a newer cd from Bowie, and I had never seen it before. I turned the case over and saw it was stamped as a promo cd. A nice bonus!!

Then I opened the case.


The booklet was cover by this Hologramy looking piece. Which was pretty cool. But under it...


The CD booklet was signed by David Bowie!!! I couldn't believe my eyes!! I quickly checked to make sure it was a marker, and not printed on the booklet. It was really marker. I grabbed the computer to check the validity of the signature, and it looked legit!!


(Framed CD)

I was blown away that my $2.42 bought me a signed book, and unbeknownst to me, a signed Bowie CD!! Now I realize these aren't Declarations of Independence or anything, but that's a $20-$30 Bowie item, which isn't too shabby from a Flea Market!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are good, T!