Monday, November 13, 2006

Celebrating the Life of a Friend

It truly is a sad day...it's been a sad weekend, in fact.

Early Saturday morning...12:43 am...I had to say goodbye to a very good friend...




born: 1976 // died: 2006


Yes, kids, the jukebox is no more. My intentions were good. Strip the box of all parts heavy without compromising the structure's integrity...take it out to the shed, and reassemble it back to its original glory. But after 5 hours of "surgery", the jukebox could not be saved.

Don't cry for the jukebox, he wouldn't have wanted that.

The jukebox, who really never had a name, had been broken for several years now. I still held out hope that he could once again sing...but in the end, it just wasn't meant to be. I finally had to send him to a better place, to that jukebox in the sky, to spin records with the great jukeboxes of history.

I remember the good ole days...

--Doing a interpritive dance around the basement to Bowie's "Space Oddity"
--Pushing random numbers and coming up with Yoko Ono's "Kiss Kiss Kiss" (YIKES!!...Note: it's the B Side to a John Lennon classic, ok?!)
--Turning out the lights in the apartment and playing the Beatles "A Day in the Life" to get pumped before a match

I could go on, but I'm getting too sad.

A few key pieces have been retained for prosperity's sake...but by and large, the jukebox is gone.


(In the belly of the jukebox)

Here are a few more facts about my jukebox:

--First song I heard it play...Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles
--Last song I heard it play...Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic - The Police
--Purchased...1998
--Records that had to be in the jukebox at all times...It's Good to be King - Tom Petty and Blue Christmas - Elvis (for reasons all my own).
--Memories...too many to count

I'm sorry, old friend...I wish you could have sung forever.

(Please, take a second to pay your final respects and condolenses in the comments section...but don't send flowers, the jukebox was allergic.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

T,
You have my sympathy. That jukebox was good to you. It lived a good life. Just know it is in a better place now. Sue