Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I Walk The Line

Last night walked a very fine line between being funny and being down right pathetic. It seems that Becky and I have a "schedule" that is very much set in stone, and must be strictly adhered to...and it revolves around television.

Last night, we went to Franklin to pick up some cookie dough I had bought from my cousin's daughter (I guess that would make her my 2nd cousin or something? anyway...). It was a beautiful day to drop the convertible top and enjoy the ride. But, despite the relaxation that came from the trip, I also knew we had to leave Franklin at 7:00 or before, to make it home in time to get dinner and make it home by 8:00.

We picked up the dough, chatted a bit, and wrapped things up at 6:58...still on schedule. As I was driving into town, trying to pry a dinner idea from Becky, the timeline I had so carefully planned took a hit.

"We need to go to Target."

UGH!! I forgot about Target. She DID tell me that before, but my mind is only a steel trap for useless information, and not for important stuff. So, I rearranged the timeline, pushed down the gas, and pulled into Target at 7:30.

"I'm going in, I only need 7 minutes, I'll be back at 7:37." I told Becky...if I took 7 minutes here, 15 minutes to get food, and 7 minutes to get home...I would make it before 8.

I "hurried" into Target (I don't run, and I'm too fat and sore to jog.) My mission was clear. Toaster Pastries, Laundry Detergent, Dryer sheets, out.

I grabbed the items and picked up speed going to the register, dodging shopping carts and leapfrogging little kids (no, I didn't really leapfrog any little kids...are you laughing? I could do it, you know!!)

I got to the registers and quickly surveyed the cashiers...line's too long...cashier looks slow...cashier is a guy...this one looks good. I made a step towards register 3, but my gut told me to change over to 4.

Good thing I did. As I came to a stop in 4, 3 switched her light on for a price check. I wiped the sweat from my brow and thought to myself...that was a close one.

Lane 4 ended up being the fastest lane in the store, and I got to the car at 7:36, one minute ahead of schedule. We tore over to Wendy's, got our food at 7:45 (7 minutes ahead of schedule) and made it home with plenty of time to kick back, relax, and enjoy American Idol and Amazing Race.

(Editors Note: Did you SEE Amazing Race last night? The one couple took the Fast Forward (skip all taks) and in order to skip all tasks, the chick had to shave her head...and SHE DID IT!! I think she looked pretty good with no hair, actually.)

The pathetic thing is (yeah, like that about isn't pathetic enough) we do this on Monday (shows are on 8-11)...Tuesday (8-11)...Wednesday (American Idol results show, duh!!)...Thursday (8-11)...and Sunday (8-11)...it's sad, but with the summer coming, all the shows will be re-runs, and we can enjoy the summer...until Big Brother comes on!!

No comments: