Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The 10 Most Depressing Songs Of All Time

Sometimes, a song is so sad, it make you feel like crying. Sometimes, it's so in your face, it makes you feel uneasy when you hear it. Some songs are so unnerving, they crawl under your skin and die...

Without further ado, I give you:

The 10 Most Depressing Songs of All Time

10. Too Cool For This World - Josh Clayton Felt

--And every time you turn away
All the colors of the day
Reach the sky
Wonder why
You don't see them at all,
When it's only you're reflection
You're passing by...

9. In The Ghetto - Elvis Presley

--As her young man dies,
On a cold and grey Chicago morn',
Another little baby child is born
In the ghetto
And his mama cries

8. Gravedigger - Dave Matthews

--Gravedigger
When you dig my grave
Could you make it shallow
So that I can feel the rain
Gravedigger

7. Landslide - Fleetwood Mac

--Well, I 've been afraid of changing '
Cause I 've built my life around you
But time makes you get bolder
Even children get older
And I 'm getting older, too

6. Raining In Baltimore - Counting Crows

--And I get no answers
And I don 't get no change
It's raining in Baltimore, baby
But everything else is the same

There 's things I remember and things I forget
I miss you I guess that I should
Three thousand five hundred miles away
But what would you change if you could?

5. Girl of the North Country - Bob Dylan

--I 'm a-wonderin ' if she remembers me at all.
Many times I 've often prayed
In the darkness of my night,
In the brightness of my day.

So if you 're travelin ' in the north country fair,
Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline,
Remember me to one who lives there.
She once was a true love of mine.

4. 100 Years - Five For Fighting

--Half time goes by
Suddenly you 're wise
Another blink of an eye
67 is gone
The sun is getting high
We 're moving on...
I 'm 99 for a moment
Dying for just another moment
And I'm just dreaming
Counting the ways to where you are

15 there 's still time for you
Time to buy and time to choose
Hey 15, there 's never a wish better than this
When you only got 100 years to live

3. Space Oddity - David Bowie

--Though I 'm past one hundred thousand miles
I 'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much she knows
"Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you...."Here am I floating round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do."

2. Mad World - Gary Jules (originally by Tears for Fears)

--All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places
Worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going no where
Going no where
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression
No expression
Hide my head I wanna drown my sorrow
No tomorrow
No tomorrow
And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles its a very very
Mad world
Mad world

1. Dust In The Wind - Kansas

--I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams, pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Dust in the wind,
all they are is dust in the wind.

Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do, crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see
Dust in the wind,
all we are is dust in the wind

[Now] Don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy.
Dust in the wind,
all we are is dust in the wind
Dust in the wind,
everything is dust in the wind.

...........................................................

There you have it. The 10 Most Depressing Songs of All Time. Disagree? It's cool. Maybe some Honorable Mentions will help:

Honorable Mentions

Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum (because it's creepy!!)
Angel - Sarah McLachlan
Streets of Philadelphia - Bruce Springsteen
Masters of War - Bob Dylan
Hear You Me - Jimmy Eat World
Hurt - Johnny Cash (and Nine Inch Nails)

1 comment:

Gillespie said...

'Sup, F? Fast Car should have made the list...totally. He Stopped Loving Her Today...yeah, that shit's depressing!! Patsy Cline's too upbeat to be sad, and Janis and U2 are more heart-breaking than depressing in my opinion...thanks for the suggestions...

..."and soon they'll carry him away..." yeah, that should have made the list!!