Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Dreaded Three Day Weekend

Ah, the three day weekend. Sometimes it's great to have three days of fun, relaxation, and in general, no responsibilities. But every once in awhile, you have the dreaded "home improvement" weekend.

Yes, the 3 days of back-breaking labor, all in the name of updating your home's appeal. Usually a three day weekend is great, but the home improvement three days weekend sucks more than a Hoover vacuum.

Mom and Dad came down to help, since I am notorious for not being able to measure things with any accuracy whatsoever. I had a plan to get a lot accomplished in only 2 days, leaving the third day, Monday, to recover. Well, the projects ran a little long...

PROJECT #1:

KITCHEN: BEFORE




The plan was simple. Mom and Becky would paint, while me and Dad did some other stuff. Dad and I would then add new counter tops and the project would be complete. The painting went smoothly. It was the counter tops.

Dad says: "It shouldn't take more than a half hour."

After mis-cutting the counter-top, going to Menards for a new one, and finally getting the stupid sink back in, the task was accomplished...

IN 3 HOURS!!

KITCHEN: AFTER



PROJECT #2:

BATHROOM: BEFORE



The bathroom wasn't very bad before, as we just remodeled not very long ago. The problem was, when we put down the vinyl tiles, the nails holding the sub-floor down started to pop up, creating a very unsightly problem. The solution? Ceramic tile!!

None of us had ever layed ceramic tile, so it was a new experience. I figured since our bathroom is about 50 square feet, it shouldn't take much more than 4 hours.

After precisely cutting tile around the toilet, the shower, the angled walls, the sink...and after Dad cut his hand on tiles 5 TIMES, and his toe once, the task was accomplished...

IN 10 HOURS!!!

BATHROOM: AFTER





PROJECT #3:


GROUTING THE BATHROOM TILE

It was about midnight on Sunday, and the list was still long with things to do on Monday. So me being the genius that I am, decided that Becky and I should grout the bathroom, so we could put the trim up Monday.

Tony says: "Being this bathroom is so small, this should only take about an hour or so."

I am an idiot.

At 3 am, some 3 hours after we began, the bathroom was grouted to excellent results. We popped some popcorn (our dinner) and went to bed.

PROJECT #4:

LIVING ROOM: BEFORE



We needed to re-paint the top half, and add wainscoting to the bottom. Again, the painting went well, probably because Becky and mom painted. It was the dang wainscoting. I really thought it would take 5 or 6 hours to do the entire room. However, because you had to measure each piece, cut, put in place, re-cut if necessary, glue, adhere...

well, we worked for about 5 hours and got half finished. It looks fantastic, but we aren't finished quite yet. Here's a sneak peek, just for you!!

LIVING ROOM: AFTER (ALMOST)



We still have half a living room and trim in the bathroom, but all in all, a pretty productive weekend. I am super sore, but I can't image how Dad feels. After all, he did the largest percentage of the work!! Thanks, D!! Sorry about all the cuts...floor, hand and toe!!

D's Poor Toe

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

T, I think I am going to start to call you Tim the Toolman. I will say everything looks very nice!

Sue

Gillespie said...

Well, I had a little help from dad...on the bathroom, he cut the tile, layed the adhesive, positioned the tile, and layed the tile...I, well, I watched him do all that, and made sure they were straight. On the living room he measured the boards, cut the boards, and I put them on the wall.

What am I trying to say? Thank goodness for D, cause without him, I wouldn't have been able to get this job finished!!

Anonymous said...

It has been a little while since I have had a chance to check out the blog. I am sorry I didn't do it sooner, I see I missed a lot. Everything looks great in your house!!!! You guys did a wonderful job! I love the tile in your bathroom. I love everything you did. I must say I am very impressed!