Thursday, September 29, 2005

Got Them No Brakes Blues Again

I am not a huge fan of cars. Don't misunderstand, I love getting in a car and it taking me to my destination so I don't have to walk, but I prefer it to be simple.

Get in.

Insert key.

Drive.

No headaches, no hassles. Change the oil? Not this guy. I'll pay someone to do it. Camshaft, crankshaft, tie-rod, piston...just words to me. No idea. This is probably why I really hate when my car has a problem. I know nothing about them, so I feel like someone is always taking advantage of me.

Wouldn't you know it, Becky came home the other day (actually about 4 months ago) and said her brakes were "squealing." After months of putting it off, I finally took the car in to the shop.

We needed:

Brake Pads, Rotors, and a new front tire, as ours had a gash in it. Total = $370.

Ouch.

Then, the guy calls back and says:

"the piston is cracked in half and is leaking brake fluid...I need to put a new caliper on there, and it's another $70. Do you want me to go ahead and do that?"

No, moron, slap some duct tape around it and let's call it a day. YES, I WANT YOU TO FIX IT!!

After waiting all day, I finally called to see if the car was finished at 4:45 pm. They informed me that it was. Thanks a lot for letting me know!! At this point, I had no one to take me to pick up the car, and they closed in 15 minutes, so I took the work van, drove it to the Brake place, paid my $470 bill, drove our car home, had Becky (who was home at this point) drive me to the van, follow me back to work, and take me home.

What a nightmare!!

I sure hope they did all they said, cause I wouldn't know the difference anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a State law that auto repair shops must contact the owner, advise them of the needed repair AND ask them if they want the repair done. They are not permitted to perform repairs without the consent of the owner. Don't be so hard on the "guy" he was only doing his job.

Gillespie said...

Really? Oh, that's cool them...still caught me off guard. Like I said, I know NOTHING about cars and the car related fixing proceedures.