Monday, March 27, 2006

Gillespie: Unplugged

The Date: March 25, 2006
The Time: 7:00pm (Ok, the music started at 9:15)
The Place: El Casa de Gillespie
The Event: Gillespie Unplugged



The stage was set...

The microphone was in place...

And soon, the concert began...

(That's me, singing "Mr. Jones" by the Counting Crows)

The concert was postponed by more than an hour, as we waited for a few last people to arrive, but then the show started. Before I took the stage, Chris Johnson, my friend from the Class of '95, took the mic, and proceeded to warm the crowd up with a heart-warming tale from our childhood. (Thanks, Chris!!) And then, the show began...

I started with a song for the Class of '95, some of whom were in attendance. I managed not too mess up Better Than Ezra's "Good", before moving on to the above mentioned "Mr. Jones." That's were the trouble began.

Right in the middle of the chorus, I started singing the wrong words, and I froze. I managed to start again, but my confidence was shot. I shed the sweater, and soldiered on.


(Me, having recovered...)

More songs were sung, laughs were had. I past the guitar over to my good friend Big Daddy Staddy, (Dan Stadtmiller of the most kick assin'est band in Columbus, Bad Monkey) and he played some tunes, while the whole party sang along.



(Me and Freaky von Teaky, (Brian Wilhelm) singing Dead or Alive...Big Daddy Staddy on the axe)

As Dan played, we had some guest singers...Brian (above) and the lovely and talented Ella Hoke(below).



(Ella wowing the crowd as Burchie (Shannon Burch) looks on, and sings along)

Then, we danced...



(Me and Ella doing the Jimmy Fallon dance)

And toasted the evening...

(Toasting the night)

Fun was had by all, I hope. If you were there, post me a comment...and most of all, thanks for coming and rockin' out!!

(Special thanks to Big Daddy Staddy for the great tunes while I danced like a fool!!...and mixin' up the great drinks...and making the invitations...WHAT A GREAT GUY!!)

(Also, special thanks to my beautiful bartender, Becky, who slung the drinks like a pro!!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gillespie Unplugged was a great event and fun was had by all. I could tell everyone was enjoying themselves, myself included. You say you froze, but I don't think your guests thought a thing of it. They were just enjoying the entertainment. I was impressed before I ever got there just knowing you were getting up there and singing and playing guitar for everyone. I could never do it. It takes me two or three beers just to do Karaoke! You did fine. Thanks for the invite! It was a great time. You were great.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us escape to your place for a few hours. For the time we were able to attend the concert, it was a great time. By the way, Chris only meant to stress that you were always ahead of your time. He was just pointing out that you were thinking of things in second grade that no one your age had thought of yet. He apologizes that his story was misconstrued. :)

Gillespie said...

kristy...thanks for the kind words, and Karaoke?!? I could NEVER do that...I would be horrified.

jaime...I'm so glad you and Chris came. I knew Chris's intentions were good, I just have some friends with dirty minds!! It meant the world to me that you guys were there, and that Chris actually remembers that story from back in the glory days of the 'Burg!!