Wednesday, May 17, 2006

So You Want To Be a Rock and Roll Star

I knew it was bound to happen. Somewhere, somehow, and, most importantly, sometime. Bedford was the somewhere, and the sometime was Saturday, May 13th.

I became a rock 'n roller.

Becky, my friend Toby, and I traveled way down south, to Bedford to watch Bad Monkey perform. (For those of you not in the know, Bad Monkey is a Smokin' Hot band from the Columbus, Indiana area consisting of Dan Stadtmiller on lead vocals and guitar, Hiram Davis on vocals and guitar, Travis on the drums, and Double D...Doug Dishman on bass.)

Soon after arriving, Dan began his usual inquiry about me performing a song with them. Of course, I always would make like the Magic 8 Ball and say "Maybe", "Ask again later", and "Outlook Not Good." On that night, however, "All Signs Pointed to Yes."

In the middle of the second set, I could see Dan was having a little trouble battling a bout of Bronchitis. His vocals were good, but not the normal strong vocals I was accustomed to hearing. Then, my moment came.

Dan: "Man, I'm dyin' up here, people. I'm gonna need a little help on this next number. Tony Gillespie, buddy, I need you to sing this one."

Me: Looking shocked and surprised - "Wha? Me? What song?"

Dan: "Hey Joe."

I pushed the chair back and walked to the stage to perform Jimi Hendrix's first single from 1966, "Hey Joe."

Hiram tore out the opening riff, and I was off. I made it through the first verse pretty well. I forgot my place once, but was able to fake it through...no one noticed. I had trouble figuring out where to come in on the second verse due to the extended solo Hiram was lying down, but I jumped in and finished the tune up strong.

My first real performance! (NOTE: Gillespie: Unplugged and Red Faced on Red House do not technically qualify because, while a lot of people were present, they weren't actual paid gigs for me ... no this one wasn't, either, but it was for Bad Monkey...you get the idea.)

I received some positive feedback from the crowd, and I felt great to be able to have the confidence to even try it. I credit Dan for that. Overall, I think I did alright!!

But, please, no autographs!!

No comments: