Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Beast...JR!!

Back in October, i force fed you some pictures of The Beast, a massive 7 foot giant of a display case that I had to wrestle from an auction to my basement.

Well, in July, almost exactly 9 months after we brought the Beast home, we welcomed a new display case into our family.

Beast, Jr!!


(front view of Beast Jr...sorry the picture is blurry)

After having seen an auction advertising a "Hall Mark-esqe" store closing down, we decided to go and see what they had to offer. I like collectables, Becky's into Kim Anderson figurines, so we went.


(small sampling of Becky's Kim Anderson Pretty as a Picture Collection)

When we arrived, it was hotter than hot outside, and only slightly cooler inside. We saw a small lot of Kim Anderson figurines, so we decided to stay, despite the heat. Little did we know at the time, but a Beast lurked inside.

(Ok, we knew going in that the display case was for sale, but I was trying to add some dramatic effect!!)

The tables outside were going rather quickly, but the heat of the day was slowly kicking my behind!! I pushed away from the plush animals and Nascar memoribilia, scrounged a few dollars in change from dad's van (which we took in case we bought a new display case) and bought a chili dog and soda.

Becky outbid a lady for the Kim Anderson's, and I was catching my second wind. The auctioneers desided to pull the tables inside, because of the heat, and the auction continued. The Nascar stuff was so prevalent, it seemed to take forever to get through it all, so they could sell the display cases, but I was determined to get one. I looked them over closely, and picked out one of the three that I liked the best.

When the bidding began, I started in low. A few other collector's bid the Beast Jr up to $20...and then there was silence. No one else wanted in, I was going to get this gem for $20!! But...

The Auctioneer wouldn't give up!! $25?!? $25?!? Who give me $25?!?

NOBODY!! I was screaming in my head. I took my auction number out of my pocket, ready to reveil my number to record my successful bid...Anybody $25?!?

I put the number back in my pocket. I figgitted a little, I swayed from side to side, I took my number back out...

Anyone $25?!?

CLOSE THE DAMN AUCTION ALREADY!!

Then, from nowhere...

I'll bid $25!!

Where did that squirrley mo' fo' come from? I sighed, and quickly bid $30...he went $35. I starred him straight in his squirrley eyes with a "Don't-Bid-Again" look, and raised my hand for $40.

He got the message, and didn't bid again.

The Beast Jr was mine!!


(top view of Beast Jr....and my complete Beatles Picture Sleeve Collection!!)

After a long long day in the heat and sun, and almost passing out, I drove away victorious!!


(side view of Beast Jr!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are good! It looks very nice!
Sue