Monday, April 16, 2007

Happy Birthday, Becky!

Today is Becky's birthday. I asked her what she wanted and she had two requests. A photo printer and a cake.

We went out and bought the photo printer...and I decided to make the cake. I've never made a cake before, but I was ready to give it a try. I'd seen my mom do it a hundred times, so I figured I would go for it.

Becky chose chocolate cake, which I'm not very fond of, but it's her cake, so whatever.


(Super Moist!!)

Following the instructions on the box, I mixed the ingredients together in a bowl.


(Ingredients, pretty self explanatory, I know.)

I decided to be bold and make a two layer cake, instead of your normal, ho-hum flat cake.


(Cake times two!)

I let my cat lick the bowl a little, just to make sure the mixture wasn't poisonous.


(Dakota...no animals were harmed in the baking of this cake!)

Dakota didn't pass out, or keel over dead, so I took a turn at the mix!


(I also didn't keel over, in case you were curious.)

After 24 minutes, the cakes came out of the oven, and I promptly allowed them to cool for 10 minutes, as instructed.


(Getting close!)

After the required 10 minute "cooling time" I popped a cake out and slapped it on the plate. It was at this point, I remembered hearing a story about putting the icing on while the cake was hot.

It was a bad idea, let's leave it at that.

So, I let it cool completely, (actually, the icing container told me, in big scary letters to LET THE CAKE COOL!) Then, I put the icing on.


(Voila!!)

Happy Birthday, Becky! I hope you enjoy the cake, and it doesn't make you keel over dead!