Thursday, April 12, 2007

Hey, Oates

For your amusement, a conversation between my cousin, Scott and me.

Me: "You know what sucks about writing a song?"

Scott: "What?"

Me: "I had these great lyrics I was working with...I was so excited about this song that I had the drum beats in my head, the guitar parts, everything...then, as I'm listening to the radio, a song comes on that was written 20 years ago that has the same title AND a curiously similar hook."

Scott: "That does suck."

Me: "That's not the worst part...not only was this song written 20 years ago, with the same title and a curiously similar hook, BUT it was also written by HALL AND OATES!"

Scott: "Ouch! I don't even think I know any Hall and Oates songs except Maneater (note: my song was not titled Maneater, it was a different H & O song)...my dad told me a story once about seeing Hall and Oates in the airport. He wasn't sure if it was them, so he went up to Oates and asked him."

Me: (laughing) "Oates, that's just a funny name...hey, Oates!"

Scott: "It's John Oates, right?"

Me: "Yeah, John Oates...just sounds funny when you just say 'he went up to Oates.' At least he didn't go up to him and ask if they were Wham."

Scott: "I bet Oates changed his name..."

Me: "Like it's a stage name?"

Scott: "Yeah, I bet his real name is Johnny Oates."

(NOTE: John Oates did not change his name, it's always been John Oates...ironically, Daryl Hall was born Daryl Hohl...who knew?)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was it Private Eyes?

Gillespie said...

No, it wasn't Private Eyes.

Anonymous said...

I have to know. Which song was it? Sue

Anonymous said...

Every Hall & Oates fan knows Daryl Hall was born "Daryl Franklin Hohl" and changed his name when he 'came of age'.

~:D