Thursday, July 26, 2007

Blue Car Blues

Purchasing a new car can be exciting, but it can also be very trying. You look for hours, days, weeks, whatever, and when you finally get what you think you want, there is inevitably something.

Something you overlooked. Something that looked better on the lot than when you got it home. Something that you though would be a quick fix, that turned into a headache.

Headache describes my new car. Don't get me wrong, I love it. It's awesome inside and out except for three small things, all of which the dealer agreed to correct.

1. No floormats. That sucks, but a new set is on order.

2. A small dent on the driver side back panel. "We will pop that out for you."

3. The amp on the stereo is blown. But it's in the shop, and will be ready in a week or so.

Do you know how much it sucks not having a radio? Well, let's just say a lot. But, true to their promise, the amp was repaired and I took a day off work to go get it installed. I arrived at 9:00, which was my appointment time. They said it would only take an hour.

Why do people estimate times? They are never right. After I dropped the car off, I took off on foot, because, as I have failed to mention, we bought the car in Shelbyville, so I was 30 miles from home (which is Columbus, for those of you not in the know.) I walked to the Goodwill store, as it was fairly close and spent about 40 minutes in there. My thought was, when I get back, the car will be close to being finished.

It was 9:45.

I sat in the waiting room and looked at a Sports Illustrated. Then another. Ellen came on the tv. I watched for a little while, cause she's damn funny!! Then I read another SI...then a Spin Magazine...then the first SI again...then the little pamphlets the car dealers have sitting on the table...then a Highlights magazine...then a Modern Bride magazine...I was out of alternatives, ok?!?

Then Ellen went off.

I was getting impatient, so I was pacing around the waiting room, then out to look at the cars, then the waiting room...at 11:45, the news came back that the amp wouldn't work, and they were going to have to order a new one for me...

"It'll be about a week."

I did my best to remain calm, but the guy could tell by the ever increasing redness in my face that I was pretty pissed. To make matters worse, the "Dent Guy" wasn't in yet, and couldn't fix that (is there only one guy who can pop a small dent???) AND the mats were never ordered. I got a promise that all three would be done on my next visit.

They called back after a week and the new part is in. I set up the amp repair, and inquired about the dent.

"Well, the "Dent Guy" is on vacation, and won't be back til the 4th."

I didn't even ask about the mats. I figured I will just be "surprised" when I get there tomorrow. For my blood pressure's sake, I hope they are.

No comments: