Friday, June 26, 2009

MICHAEL JACKSON: 1958 - 2009

The King is dead.

Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, has died at age 50.

Michael made it easy to focus on the negative. Yes, he was bizarre. Yes, he was strange. Yes, he was eccentric. Weird, odd, reclusive...

However, the man was a damn fine musician. Damn fine performer. Underrated humanitarian. And I, for one, refuse to overshadow all he gave to the world on the strength of accusations.

Maybe he did molest children, as he was accused and acquitted of. And if he did, it's unimaginably terrible...the worst thing anyone could do. But it's not up to us to judge his guilt or innocence. He's will face judgement for that. It would be awful, as well, if he didn't do it. Living with the stigma of such a heinous crime would be overwhelming. I choose not to judge.

You might not like him. I don't care. You might think he's guilty. I don't care. Like I said, it's not for me (or us) to judge him.

I'm just going to remember him and his musical legacy. He opened a lot of doors for black entertainers. He went from child pop singer with the Jackson 5, to disco genius with Off The Wall, to pop superstar with Thriller, to cultural icon with the Moonwalk, the Glove, We Are the World, Bad, Dangerous...

You cannot deny his impact...

From the dancing, to the music video short films...from the singing, to the songwriting...Michael Jackson was larger than life. But in the end, no one gets out of life alive. Some just go too soon.

R.I.P. Michael Jackson...the King of Pop. August 29, 1958 - June 25, 2009.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

T,
That was very nice. I choose not to judge either. His music was great! Hank wants to know where your article is about Farrah Fawcett? I figure you were a baby when she was popular.

Sue

Gillespie said...

Sue...

I'm glad you are open-minded about MJ. His music was indeed great, and he does deserve at least some credit for all he did for the music industry.

As for Farrah...surprisingly, this isn't the first time I heard someone say Farrah didn't get enough recognition. HOWEVER, Farrah Fawcett didn't really do anything that was of historical importance. Should she have gotten more time than, say, Heath Ledger? Yeah, maybe. Michael Jackson? No way! Heck, I hardly heard anything about Ed McMahon either, and he was pretty big in the industry, too. So, tell Hank he can start his own blog and talk about Farrah...I'll stick to the people who made a real difference!! ha ha! T (sorry Farrah fans...just my opinion!)

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for Farrah because her death is overshadowed by MJ, but besides The Burning Bed what did she do? As for MJ it is really interesting that he is only 13 years younger than my mother and 10 years older than my brother. How weird is that? A reporter put it best Mj affected a lot of people because he spent 40 of his 50 years entertaining people. Approx. time.

Jean