Thursday, January 06, 2005

Fruit Cup

My mom use to make a mixture of fruits called a "Fruit Salad." You know, take a bowl, cut up lots of fruits, and bingo-bango-boingo...Fruit Salad. I use to think she was crazy, and came up with this mixture on her own.

I guess it's a more widely used receipe than I had thought.

Becky and I went to Max and Erma's for dinner last night, and low and behold, the Fruit Cup. Becky ordered one, and I thought, "what could be better than a fruit cup?" That's when I remembered what was wrong with the Fruit Salad my mom use to make.

Apples.

You dice some tangerines, some pineapple, throw in some grapes...great, they all have a good flavor. Then you load it down with a flavorless fruit like the apple! What a load of crap! Those red apples, what are they Washington apples or something? Well, they have no flavor. And when the ratio is 4 to 1, apples over fruits with taste, the Fruit Cup is a dud!

Why would the primary fruit be the apple? I remember my mom would lay a plentiful portion of apples and bananas in her Fruit Salad, and you know what would happen? After about 2 days in the refrigerator, the apples and bananas would turn a lovely shade of brown, and no one would want to eat it anymore.

People, stop the madness! Add fruits that have taste, and that won't brown. If I would have had better tasting fruits in my mom's Fruit Salad...I may be in better shape today!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shame on you blaming your loving Mother for the "shape" you are in! There she was a slaving over a paring knife making sure you got your daily dose of fruits and you lay a guilt trip on her! Tsk Tsk. (LOL - all in fun).