Friday, January 28, 2005

We'll Keep In Touch!

I got an e-mail the other day requesting some information. The sender was a familiar name, but the reason was shocking. The e-mailer wanted my address so I could receive information about my 10 year High School Re-Union.

10 YEARS!!

Damn, I feel old. Maybe a bit unimportant. You know how your mind wanders sometimes. Mine certainly does. Thoughts that run through my head:

1. Will anyone remember me?
2. Does anybody still think of me?
3. What great things will everyone else be doing?
4. How many people will be better off than me?
5. How many will be worse off?
6. What will people look like?

I never considered myself a "popular" person. I was known by a lot, acknowledged by many, but I never really interacted like others. A bit backwards, I guess you could have described me as. Will they remember me? Oh, I remember them. Small things flood back to me with the mention of each name. Things I should have forgotten long ago, but for some reason have locked into my mind, like the lyrics to songs.

Do they see my name and wonder "what ever happened to Tony?" I doubt it. But that's ok. I like to think I leave a mark on the people who leave a mark on me. It's kind of a respect thing, I guess.

How many people will have great lives? Will they be better off than I am? I highly doubt they could be. Don't get me wrong, others may have tons of money, live in mansions and sleep on gold...but that doesn't necessarily make them better off than me. I have a great life. I think I have done very well for myself.

I guess none of that matters. Chances are, I'll go, see some people, talk about the old times, exchange numbers and e-mail addresses and then never see them again. Just like High School. We'll keep in touch! Best Friends Forever!!

Seems like so long ago.

But I bet when I see the people I once held in such high regard, the valedictorian, the cheerleaders, the quarterback of the football team...I bet these people are just like me now. No hierarchy applies to the 10 year reunion. We are now all equal. Only, somehow, I feel like I have more to be proud of. It's like I was so insignificant in High School, and I did so much since...

I don't feel superior, just confident. Confident that I can go and be one of the group. One of the Class of 95. That's a good feeling. Not just a name.

No comments: