Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Charming

Often in the English language, phrases come up. They evolve. "The Proof of the pudding is in the eating..." has evolved into "The Proof is in the Pudding." I have writen about this before.

One phrase I can't figure out is "Third time's the charm."

What?!? Why exactly are we giving people who suck at something THREE CHANCES to get it right? That just seems a little excessive to me. Ok, two tries, I may buy, because nobody's perfect. But to encourage a third?

And where did this phrase evolve from? I have no clue. I think this is one that stood on it's own somehow. All I know is, if it's going to take me three tries to get it, I probably don't want to even attempt it once.

I want the first time to be the charm. I don't call it being lazy, I call it being realistic. If I'm not skilled enough the first two times...forget it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not try at all because you can't get it right the first time? how uninspired is that?! everyone deserves a chance and some things, they deserve to try until they are content with the outcome. it's because no one's perfect that we should encourage a third. nothing comes easy. it probably didn't take you only two times to learn to walk or talk in a complete coherent sentence or learn to ride a bike, or swim. There's hardly anything that a person can complish completely right in the first two tries. we learn and get better at things. my mom would always tell me a saying that they have in vietnamese and basically, it says that failure is the mother of success. plus, what is success without failure every now and again?