Monday, February 14, 2005

If You Can't Beat 'Em...

Last weekend, Becky and I set out to convert a gaping hole in our computer room into a magnificent CD rack. Sounds simple enough. But when you consider my lack of any "handyman" type skills, and Becky and my inability to get along while doing projects, the task seems a little more monumental.

Last summer, Becky and I remodeled our bathroom. Part of the project included tearing out a closet from the Computer room, and incorporating the space into our tiny bathroom. The result left a hole in the computer room where the closet door use to be. Becky wisely suggested that we convert the space into an inlaid CD rack. (Great Idea by Becky #1)

After many months procrastinating (as I do so well), we finally decided to start the rack.

Ok, Becky told me I had to do it.

I drew up some plans and was mentally ready for the task. I was so confident, in fact, that I told Becky's mom the job would take, max, 5 hours (not including time to get the wood.)

We went and bought the wood and started to build. Things were actually going well. I was measuring the wood and cutting it with the circular saw (something I had only used twice before in my life.) Things were progressing well. Then, our first "discussion".

Becky: "Are you going to put spacers to hold the shelves up?"

Translation: "Don't put spacers to hold the shelves up, it will look stupid."

Me: "Yes."

Becky: "Oh, I think it would be better if..."

Oh, no. Here it comes. Becky tells me for months to build the CD rack, build the CD rack...then, after I rack my brains coming up with this plan...she tells me HOW to build it. UGH! This is why I get mad...usually. This time, I decided to take a different approach.

I admit, at first I fought her ideas. Saying things like, "That will be too hard!" and "I don't want to do it that way...(cause I'm a whiny little baby, I should have added.)" But then, I just said, ok, let's do it your way.

And you know what? It actually came out BETTER than my original idea. It took a little bit of work, but her CD rack idea was great. (Great Idea by Becky #2) The project got done, and we hardly fought at all about those little things.

After we finished building the shelf, puttying, and painting...we made a collage of music pictures on the back wall behind the shelves for added effect that came out cool, and was a fun project to do together (Great Idea by Becky #3). I was really surprised how well we worked together, given our shady past work history. Maybe I'm growing up a little, and becoming a little more patient. Scary thought.

In case you were wondering, the shelf took 8 hours to build, and about 4 hours to collage. Total with painting, getting the lumber, building and collaging...15 hours. But it was fun!!

Total Great Ideas by Becky on the CD Rack project: 3
Total Great Ideas by Tony on the CD Rack Project: 0

I hope you all will stop by and see Becky's great CD rack!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Becky...she's a keeper!