Wednesday, June 15, 2005

All The Groom's Men

There is an alarming trend happening these days...

Why is it, more and more, when you go to a wedding, you see the Groom has the Bride's family as one or more of his groomsmen, or the Bride has a few sister's of the groom as Bridesmaids? I don't understand this practice, nor can I accept it.

Are you to have me believe that Mr. Groom cannot find 3 to 6 (or so) male friends that will stand up and validate his choice of soulmate? I know after the ceremony there are 5 gabillion male friends of said Mr. Groom who agree with the choice of alcohol he has chosen for the reception...but oh, no...they didn't stand up and vouche for their "friend."

It's alarming (did I already say that?)

Now, don't get me wrong, there are always exceptions. Mr Groom and Bride's brother were great friends before the bride/groom met...or groom's sister introduced the two...or whatever, but for the most part, I just don't see the logic.

How many people out there, who are married, actually had the chance to form a friendship with the bride's brother(s) in the time they courted their wives-to-be, that would hold stronger than the bond they had with their childhood friend...their own brother(s)...their dad...their work buddies...the guy who cuts their hair...whoever that they had known for YEARS.

Not many.

To each his own, I guess, but I just don't dig it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see what you are saying about groomsmen, but I think people do it because they want their family to be in the wedding whether they are good friends or not. Hence, Hank and my brother weren't the best of friends, but I said he will be in our wedding. But so were both of his brothers and my sister. I agree it might not be right, but I think that just the way it goes. You know how women are! Just my thoughts about it.

Sue

Gillespie said...

Well, I didn't want to be that blunt and say the "wife tells the husband he HAS to do it," but I think that's where I was headed. In the long run, I think this is like a last hoorah for the guy's and the gal's. So, I think the guys should pick their men (not any one from the bride's family, with the exception of the situations I mention in the post) and the women pick the women (no sister's of the groom.)

Anonymous said...

I understand your point concerning the groomsmen, but here is my thought. I am really close to my brother and sister. I would want my sister to be up there with me as well as my brother. It wouldn't be correct to have my brother standing on my side. He would be up there with me but on the groomsmen side in support of me. Just as if my future husband was close to his siblings and had a sister. I would not mind if she stood up as a bridesmaid in support of him. That is how I look at it, I guess.

Gillespie said...

I definitely see your point, but therein lies the problem. I do fully understand that the groom should show the respect to his future bride (or vice-versa, of course) by allowing her brother to be a groomsman, BUT I believe it defeats the purpose of the wedding party. These are guys who should mean a lot to the GROOM, and girls who mean a lot to the BRIDE. I truly feel this was designed to be a support system for the two becoming one. My friends like you, yours like me, now we're all friends, kind thing...a merger, if you will.

Besides, the Brides brother can always be an usher.

Anonymous said...

In the case of my wedding my husband's sister became one of my closest friends before we even thought about getting married. And Larry and my brother have been friends since we started dating. But it is also that people want to have their siblings be in there wedding.
Jean