Monday, June 20, 2005

Musings on the 10 Year Reunion

Ten years happens in the blink of an eye, sometimes. While a lot has happened, it seems like yesterday I was walking down the hallways at GCHS, nodding hello to my fellow Class of '95.

Saturday was my 10 year class reunion, and, of course, I couldn't miss it. Who would show up, and who wouldn't? The answer was more surprising than I thought. Half the faces were of people I expected to see, and half, those I never would have guessed in a million years would attend. A couple people looked exactly the same, while some had changed so much, I couldn't recognize them.

Ten years erased all the games. The snobby were now just happy to see a familiar face. The playing field was, for once, leveled (for the most part.) It wasn't about who had "escaped the 'Burg," it was about the Class of '95, as one.

I eagerly made my rounds, trying, almost succesfully, to say hello to everyone who attended. It was important to me. While I was but a speck on the Class of '95 map, these people were in my soul. I enjoyed my short conversation with everyone, and missed the people who didn't make the trip. At the end of the night, I collected only one phone number, and made a promise to keep in touch with all of 3 people of the 40 or so classmates that were there.

You're thinking it's because the others meant nothing? That's not true. I would entertain a dinner or gathering with any of those who attended. I genuinely enjoyed the company.

I made a point to say goodbye to every guy with a handshake, and every girl with a hug...as if it were the last time we would ever meet. Maybe it will be. I hope not, but who knows, really? I tried to slip my e-mail address to everyone there, along with this website address. I hope everyone stops by, but realistically, they probably won't.

It's ok.

If by some chance you are reading this Class of '95...thank you for including me into your lives. Drop me an e-mail, and I'll save your address so we can really keep in touch. I had a wonderful time, and I sincerely hope this isn't the last time we exchange words.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! What I have read so far ...is ever so interesting!!! I took your card out of my pocket tonight(Monday) cause afterall. I just got to my laundry today. I had the day off work....my family and I went to the zoo. It was great fun!!! I just had to go online and see all about this. This is just amazing what I have read. I just wanted to let you know...I couldn't read much tonight......but I for sure added to my favorites!! Will chat later. bmheuers5@verizon.net

Anonymous said...

The blog is great! I really enjoyed reading it. You put the Class of '95 reunion into words so well! I look forward to keeping up with your site and reading more.

Jaime said...

Life takes me away most of the time. This is the first chance I have had to look and read. In the meantime, Oscar is unpacking CDs. Price you pay for a few minutes. It was nice visiting. Hopefully, it won't be another 10 years before we all chat again.

Anonymous said...

What an incredible recollection of the great time we had - Tony...you really know how to put it into words! I sent you an email, too - but I wanted to post my response, as well. I adore your website. I (just like Brooke) have saved it to my favorites. It was a pleasure seeing you at the reunion. I hope that it isn't another ten years, either, that we let slip by...