Friday, June 10, 2005

Buy This Album

I've tried, purposely, not to hawk products on this blog. I don't want to tell you how you should be watching a certain movie, or drinking a certain soda...however, I would be remiss, if I did not try to get you to listen to, buy, and love the new CD by the White Stripes.


Get Behind Me Satan

I picked up my first White Stripes album in the days when "Seven Nations Army" was big on the radio. I heard it a few times and thought, "this band is pretty catchy."

Then I heard it was 2 people making those sounds. I was still skeptical, because with editing these days, you can make a whole album by yourself.

(Ed. Note: For some great albums done solely by one person...check out:

1. McCartney - Paul McCartney
2. Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
3. Songs in the Key of Life - Stevie Wonder
4. Broken - Nine Inch Nails (Trent Reznor)
...etc, etc, etc...)

Anyway, I didn't think much of it, until I saw them perform on the MTV Music Awards. There they were, 2 people, blasting out Seven Nations Army...damn, impressive. To add to the awe, they broke into Son House's Death Letter mid song!! I had to listen to this band.

I bought White Blood Cells (the band's 3rd album from 2001). "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground," and "Fell in Love With a Girl," were on the radio, but the way they touched different styles of music in a new fresh way...like "Hotel Yorba"s country feel, and the old style guitar sound of "I Think I Smell a Rat," and the ease of the high pitched singing in "The Same Boy You've Always Known."

How could they top that? I ran out and bought the rest of their albums the next day.

Buy them all.

1999's Self Titled - White Stripes (with a better-than-the-original cover of Dylan's One More Cup of Coffee ...and that's coming from a big Dylan fan!! - and the amazing, AMAZING St. James Infirmary, amoung a great album)

2000's De Stijl - You're Pretty Good Looking For a Girl, Apple Blossom and Death Letter are 3 of a flawless album

2001's White Blood Cells - See Above

2003's Elephant - Seven Nation's Army, I Want to be the Boy That Wins Your Mother's Heart, Hardest Button to Button, and the incredible new blues sound of Ball and Biscuit.

and now...Get Behind Me Satan.

BRILLIANT!! BUY IT!! NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

No comments: