Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Missouri is for Late Sleepers

When you work hard for a living, the greatest time of year is vacation time. Even though I don't work hard, I also enjoy vacation. I hope you didn't miss me too much...

...you didn't notice did you?

Anyway, Becky and I whisked ourselves to the lush tropical landscape of far off Missouri!! Ah, yes, Missouri. What do you mean Missouri isn't lush? Not tropical, either? I bet you're wondering why we would choose Missouri. Well, it chose us, actually. Becky had to go there for work, so, since the hotel, gas, and her food were all paid for, it seemed like the perfect cheap vacation. So, off we went.

Monday, DAY 1:

I dropped Becky off at work and set off for Hannibal, MO to do a wee bit'o Antique shopping (ok, record shopping). I arrived at 9:00 ish, but alas, the antique store didn't open until 10. For those of you not in the know, Hannibal is small...and there aren't a lot of things to do there, so I deceided to tour Mark Twain's boyhood home.

I've never been a Mark Twain fan, too hard to read the dialect, but I'm always thirsty for some knowledge, so I went. It was really rather informative and neat. Who knew Mark Twain was so witty? You did? Well, sorry Einstein, I guess I'm not as smart as you are!!

When I finished there, the Antique place was opened. I found a bag full of records, and made my way around town to a couple of other places, ate a bite at Sonic, and returned to the hotel. My plan was thus...

1. Hook up the X Box
2. Play the X Box
3. Pick up Becky at 5.

Damn, it's hard to hook up an X Box to a hotel TV, especially when you're in a town the size of my car. After a good hour, I finally got it hooked up, played a few games, and had to leave.

Tuesday, DAY 2:

The plan for day 2 was simple enough. Drop Becky at work, pick up Cokes and rent a game...X Box all day long. (Like I said, the town was small, and I wanted to pace myself.)

I grabbed the cokes and headed for the rental store.

OPEN AT 10:00

"What the...what's wrong with this part of Missouri?!? Can't open anything before 10?" I looked down at the clock...9:02. Shit.

So, I drove down the road a bit, and found a pawn shop. I stopped in, looked at the CD's...picked out Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits. Cool. Talked to the counter help a bit...then found the XBox game I wanted to rent in the case for $10. Screw you 10 o'clock opening rental store, I'll just buy the game!! So, after waiting another half hour while some whiny ass customer tried, in vain, to pawn a car stereo for $300 (are you kidding me?) I was able to check out, and return to the room...


...to be continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog. You always make me laugh! Keep it up!

Sue

Gillespie said...

I do it for you, and all the Anonymous bloggers who somehow "misplaced" their blogger passwords...