Friday, July 15, 2005

Living Legends Concert Tour 2005: Mark Knopfler



Date: July 14, 2005

Time: 7:30 pm

Location: Murat Theatre, Indianapolis, Indiana

Seats: balcony Center: Row U, Seats 13 and 14

"I can't do everything, but I'd do anything for you." Mark Knopfler - Romeo and Juliet

For those of you not in the know, Mark Knopfler was the lead singer/lead guitarist of the '80's band Dire Straits...you know, "Money For Nothing," "Sultans of Swing,"...ok, if you don't know Dire Straits by those two songs, then let's just move on.

The night opened in the beautiful Murat Theatre with the musically stylings of Bap Kennedy, an Irish singer noted for his song "Moonlight Kiss" on the Serendipity movie soundtrack. Never heard of him? Yeah, don't feel bad, I haven't, either. His 30 minute set included songs about, custom written for and tributed to Hank Williams and Elvis Presley. He also had a weird penchant for singing on the off beat of the music...not that I really know what that is, but it seemed odd.

Since he was on stage with his acoustic guitar, and accompanied only by a musician with an electric guitar, it was rather cool. Anytime someone can hold an audience without a backing band, they get my respect.

Mark Knopfler took the stage a little after 8. A greying/balding man with a black tee shirt and fresh blue jeans, Knopfler looks like your dad, but is probably way, way cooler. (Unless you are me or my brother...cause we all know my dad's the BOMB!!) The concert was very musically pleasing, maybe the most musically pleasing show I've ever been to. The Show was mixture of stunning piano arrangements, accompanied by Mark Knopfler's husky British voice, and smokin' guitar work. Some Blues, some Easy Listening, and some Rock and Roll. I would like to go on record as saying Knopfler is HIGHLY UNDERRATED as a guitarist. He is very skilled in making his axe sing.

The set list included several songs from Knopfler's solo career, interspersed with classic Dire Straits tunes. Some of the songs were lengthy...but the pureness of the music made them worth the pain in my knees from the lack of leg room. Knopfler definitely entertained, even though I wasn't familiar with his solo work. I must admit, I went on the basis of his Dire Straits catalog, but was pleasantly surprised with the concert as a whole.

After the concert, we walked across the street to our car, got out of the parking lot and on the road in less than 10 minutes. The Murat is not only a pleasing, intimate venue for a show, but it is also very easy to get into and out of. We were home, in bed, by Midnight. I highly recommend YOU go to see a concert at the Murat.

Becky and I have been waging our "Living Legends Concert Tour" for several years now, and I was reluctant to include Knopfler into the catergory of a "Living Legend." However, after seeing the show, I am proud to include him along the ranks of Clapton, Springsteen, Sir Paul McCartney, Dylan, and the ever increasing list of Legends we have had the pleasure to have seen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounded very nice. I went to a concert this weekend. Not a legend, but very awesome! Toby Keith! We upgraded and had fabulous seats! I will say though the parking stinks and I did not get home until 2:15. (Verizon Wireless Music Center)