Monday, July 25, 2005

No Pain, No Gain...(Actually All Pain, No Gain!!)

WARNING: In the post below, you will get a first hand account of a "Poor Me" situation, in which I will, at every turn, try to incite pity, empathy, and a strong sense of need for you to feel sorry for me (isn't that what pity and empathy are?) If you do not wish to be subjected to those things, please, go read the newspaper...

Ok, so I warned you.
..............................................................

FIRST ANNUAL BURCH VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT

My good friend, Shannon, invited me to be among 7 players who would compete in a "Kings of the Beach" format volleyball tournament this past Saturday. For those of you not in the know, a "Kings of the Beach", or KOTB, format tourney is where, in this case, the 7 people each play one game of doubles volleyball, with each of the other players as a partner. You are scored by wins/loss, and then by a points system, where if you win game one 21-11, you get +10 (because you won by ten)...

Get the idea?

Anyway, you are basically playing 6 matches, and the top 4 finishers go to the finals, where you play 3 more games (one with each of the other 3). Top score wins the whole thing.

Now that I have put you all to sleep, let's start.

I started a bit slowly, losing my first game, but picked up steam winning the next two. I really thought I was in a good position going into game 4. I had the momentum, and I was playing with a guy who was doing well, against a team that I didn't figure to be much of a threat.

unfortunately, we played extremely poorly and got our butts kicked! I was now 2-2. The heat wasn't really to big of a factor, but my hat was so wet, it was dripping in my face...that's never good. I was also beginning, at this point, to stiffen up. Also, not good. I had two more matches, just to make it to the Finals, if I were so lucky.

After losing game 5, my chances of making the Finals were very slim. I had to not only win my last match, but I had to do it BIG. I was playing against the man who stood between me and the Finals, and I was determined not to let him steal the coveted "last spot."

All I wanted was Fourth. Forget winning the would tourney, if I could make the Finals, I felt I had accomplished my goal. I hadn't, after all, played in 3 months.

Luckily for me, the other team served my partner, and my setting just happened to start clicking. I would throw it up, and he would knock it down. Victory!!

A final tally revealed that I had made the 4th spot in the finals...barely.

The #1 seed, Toby, and the #2, Sean, played Shannon (#3) and I in the first game. We felt like underdogs, but came busting out of the gates like champions. We switched sides up 17-13, and feeling invincible. Then our house of cards came crumbling down.

Toby and Sean started to heat up, digging and pounding the ball consistently, leaving only sand in their wake. We still held a 19-18 advantage, when Shannon rolled the ball mere inches off the net. Toby made a grand charge, dove and popped the ball up. Sean rolled it to the back line, and our fate was sealed.

We lost 22-20 (games were to 21, win by 2).

In game 2, Sean and I held court until 11-11, then Toby and Shannon pulled the plug, defeating us 21-12. I was out of the running to win, but I wasn't finished playing. Toby had helped me win a similar tournament a few years back, and I was determined to repay the favor.

The game was neck and neck all throughout. At 17-17, I called a sand timeout, to clean myself off.

"Come on, Tony, you have to do this!" I told myself. With a newfound 5th Wind, I received the next serve and hit it at Shannon harder than I had hit a ball all day long. 18-17. The score went back and forth, each time I mustered the strength for one more hit.
19-19.
20-20.
21-21.
22-22.

They went up 23-22, and the serve came to Toby. His pass was excellent, and I broke fast to set. Instead of the great sets I was putting up, this one was a bit too far off the net. Toby hit it, but it was dug. Shannon passed to Sean, and then Shannon rolled it in front of me for the game.

We lost 24-22.

Shannon and Toby ended up tied with a +9, and Shannon tried in vain, to give the title to Toby (Toby is way too modest to admit he was taking us all to school!!) Sean and I finished with -9, but he had 2 wins, so I came in 4th with my ZERO wins.

I only wanted 4th.

Today, I can barely walk. My legs are swollen from the knees up. I feel like Barry Bonds took a home run swing at my right knee, and followed it up with a Grand Slam on my left. My knees are so swollen, I can barely bend them, and the pain is so intense, I slept for 15 minutes at a time last night, because everytime I turned over, I would wake up.

It's agony. Was it worth it? I could say no, but I know I'd do it again, so I guess that answers it. I love the game...and I had a great time with the guys. I hope to be able to walk by weeks end, but I'll make no promises!!

No comments: