Friday, July 08, 2005

Last Train to Clarksville

Thursday, DAY 4:

After my big win, I decided to find some place to spend my windfall Thursday. I found an Antique place in Clarksville...or was it Clarkville? Ah, potato...po-tot-o.

Anyhoo, I dropped Becky at work, and headed the 11 miles to Clarksville. The town, once again, was small, and besides a nice looking sit down restaurant and the Antique center, the town had nothing to offer. I pulled into the drive at the Antique center and...you guessed it, OPEN AT 10.

It was 8:30.

Ugh.

I continued down the road, through the small towns of Missouri, encountering nothing but an occasional grain silo, or beat up pick up truck (reminded me of home, actually...ha ha) I drove for about a half hour, and found a Dollar General Store. Of course, it was 8:50, and the store opened at 9 (at least it wasn't 10 like every place else!!) At 9, I finally went in to kill some time.

By 9:06 I was back on the road. It seems the Dollar General doesn't have much in the way of time killers. Plus, everyone was looking at me kinda strange. I was, after all, the only non-overall wearing person in the store.

I took a loop around Clarksville that ate the rest of the time up. Was it worth my wait? Not really. I found a few records (one nice Beatles "She Loves You" on Swan...which I bought.) Overall, I'm glad I went, but could have took it or left it. I met up with Becky for some lunch, and went back to the hotel.

Friday, DAY 5:

Becky drove herself to work, and I packed up the hotel room. She only worked until 10:30, so we had the day free. We went to Sawyers Creek and hit the mini-golf course. I was determined to beat her...but, as usual, she took me to school.

Damn non-regulation courses. I swear the greens sloped!!

We hit the road, Indiana bound. It was a nice week. Hot, but nice. It's always good to get away from work, even if your destination is the small towns of Missouri.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know men can't beat women at putt-putt. I take Hank to school all of the time. It is just a fact of life! Hey, in fact you and Hank might want to team up and try to beat Becky and me. It MIGHT help you two to be partners!

Sue