Thursday, December 01, 2005

You're Outta Here!! (Almost)

I know I shouldn't talk. I shouldn't complain about this, but sometimes things happen that are beyond acceptable...

I will be the first to admit, when I am on the volleyball court, I get excited. I get heated. I get defensive, and I complain about bad calls. I try to only do it when the play is terrible. I try to only do it because we try to be relatively honest and call our imperfections when they occur. Usually, I don't bitch at the ref, I turn it to the opponents, and call them out for their lousy play/plays.

I have been more aware of what I do ON the court since I've been ABOVE the court...that is, since I've been reffing. I ref the women's league, and I get some arguing, some grumbling...it's all par for the course. I try to continue on, and shake it off. But sometimes, just sometimes, some one will cross the line. It's happened only twice this year. The first time wasn't very major. the lady argued that she knew the rules because she was a "coach."

"Well," I responded calmly, "I'm a ref."

The second occurrence happened Tuesday...and the lady doesn't even know how close she came to getting booted from the game.

It was the first round of the league tourney. Game one went smoothly. The losing team, however, began to get a little nervous knowing that if they lost another game, they would be eliminated from the tourney. With this urgency, came a little bickering, some eye rolling, some moans and groans. All typical "I-want-the-ref-to-bail-me-out" kind of whining that comes when you're losing. One lady in particular was giving me some gruff, but I shook it off.

Then, the fireworks started.

The Complaining Lady's teammate took a good set and hit it hard over the net. The girl on the other team put her hands up to set the ball (perfectly legal). The ball hit her palms, but came straight out and in the direction she was aiming. The sound was bad, but the play was LEGAL.

The Complaining Lady started in: "Oh my god!! Come on you can't do that!!"

The play continued.

Her: "You've got to be kidding me!! That's a bad hit, that's not legal!!"

The play continued.

Her: huff, huff, bitch, moan, complain

The play went dead. Her team lost the point.

Her (loudly): "You can't let her do that! That's illegal!!"

Me: (sounding all professional) "No, on a hard driven ball, the first contact can be taken with the hands if it doesn't come to rest."

And her answer just about got her tossed...

She says: "EEEEE (Buzzer sound) WRONG ANSWER!!"

Ok, if you want to argue calls, fine. That's part of the reffing duties, to calm people down. Don't, DO NOT, try to make the ref feel like an idiot, under any circumstances. Argue your point, and shut up!!

I responded: "I've been reffing volleyball for 15 years, I think I know what the rules are!!"

Then I gave her a dagger stare and she didn't say another word. After the game, I walked to the side they were on, just ready for her to come give me some shit. I was just feet away from them. I was prepared, too. I was going to ask her what the rule was? What was the call on that play? When she couldn't tell me, and I'm sure she couldn't, I was going to say: If you don't know the rules, don't argue them! Of course, she didn't say a word the rest of the second game. They won, and were cruising through the third, so I calmed down enough to where she wasn't on the radar anymore. It's fine now, but she better watch herself!! I do ref the finals, and I don't forget!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say I cannot believe that lady said that to you! Seriously, how mature is she? I understand not always agreeing with a ref's call. I have heard the people say, "Oh come on!" To be honest I, myself, can never even do that. I may think it, I may whisper it to myself, but I can't yell it to the ref. I cannot even fathom the idea of saying "EEEE....Wrong Answer!" That is such disrespect to another human being. You explained the call well. I would have been happy with that answer. Wow...I just can get over it. Sorry to ramble but people never cease to amaze me!

Anonymous said...

I've never known you to complain about any call in all the years I've played vball with you or against you.I've also never ripped any shirts,hats,etc.. I'd say you handled the call very well.

BIG COUNTRY

Gillespie said...

BC...

I know, it's hard to believe that me, a mild mannered guy, would ever complain about a call, but I have been known to poliety questions a ref's judgement a time or two.

And, the last time I counted, you had ripped 15 shirts, removed the bill from 1 hat, and demolished a nice pair of Oakley sunglasses. Wanna talk about how many bones you may have broken in your fist? I rest my case!!