Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Angry Colts Rant

I live in Indiana.

We love the Hoosiers, the Pacers and the Colts...even when all of the above are losing. Even though it was heartbreaking to see the Colts lose this past Sunday, they really didn't deserve to win (judging by the way they played the opening 3 quarters.)

On ESPN yesterday, I heard former QB Ron "Jaws" Jaworski chastise Peyton Manning for publicly criticizing his Offensive line, saying something to the effect of...there is a line you just don't cross, and the line is criticizing your teammates.

So, I would like to take this opportunity to help Peyton out of a jam, and say, emphatically, that THE COLTS OFFENSIVE LINE LOST THE GAME FOR THEM SUNDAY.

Being as I am not an NFL quarterback, I feel I can speak on this subject without backlash from the league, so I will.

If I hear any of the following again, I swear I'll tear out the throat of whoever said it...they include:

1. "That damn Vanderjagt lost the game with his kick."
2. "Peyton chokes in the big games."
3. "I wish I could stab Harper in the leg for not getting around Rothlisberger after that fumble recovery."

or

4. Really any excuse other than the Offensive line blew it.

The only stat you need to know is this...

First 16 games of the season, Peyton Manning was sacked a TOTAL of 17 times (about one per game).

Sunday, he was sacked 5. FIVE TIMES!!

Now, if Peyton had protection, he could have scrambled in the pocket more, found some receivers, and drove the ball down field. Unfortunately, the O line didn't get it right until the 4th Quarter, and by then it was too late. We scored 3 in the first 3 quarters, and 15 in the 4th.

Vanderjagt missed the field goal, and I don't care. If we would have won, it would have been tainted, because Troy Polamalu INTERCEPTED that Manning pass, plain and simple. It shouldn't have been overturned. The referee even said so after the game.

We made it close, and I, as a fan of fairplay, felt a little slimey about coming that close to robbing Pittsburgh of the game. We blew it, (and by we, I of course mean the Offensive line.)

So say what you will about the Colts choking, but don't chastise Manning, who has been brilliant this season, for the shortcomings of his offensive line on Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, T! I also especially dislike when I hear people blame the game on the guy who missed the field goal. Don't they know there is no "I" in team?

Sue

Gillespie said...

Sue: There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in: "The Offensive line sucked!!" (two, actually!!"

Phoenix: Football football football Yes football football.