Tuesday, June 05, 2007

5 Things I'll Never Understand

I consider myself a pretty open-minded person. I can see how some people can enjoy Pepsi over Coke, Chinese food over Mexican, or even '80's music over '60's music (though that one is a stretch!!)

But there are a few things that I don't believe can be explained by any rational explanation. Here are a few things I don't understand.

1. Devil went Down to Georgia

Charlie Daniels has been sawing on that fiddle for decades, telling the tale of "Johnny" (or Jonny, or Johny, or however the hell you want to spell it.) vs. "The Devil." For those of you not in the know (who doesn't know this song??), The Devil bets Johnny a fiddle of gold, against Johnny's soul that he can play fiddle better.

And The Devil totally kicks Johnny's ass. Song's over...

Wait, Johnny wins?? And he wins with "Granny does your dog bite? No, child, no!"?!? You have got to be kidding me! First, The Devil's fiddling is totally superior to that of Johnny, and secondly, do you really expect me to believe The Devil is just gonna bow and give up the fiddle to "Granny does your dog bite?"

I don't get it...I'll never get it. Who honestly thinks Johnny is better?

2. Bald is Beautiful

Only certain people can pull off the bald look. Bruce Willis, Michael Jordan, etc...I have no problem with "Follically Challenged" people shaving their heads. The thing I don't understand is people who naturally have a beautiful head of hair, but decide they want to shave their heads! You know who I'm talking about Britney Spears, Chris Daughtry, David Beckham...







(David Beckham with hair)





(David Beckham without hair)

(NOTE: I know, he's sexy with OR without hair!! Damn you David Beckham!!)

3. On The Radio

Not only do I not understand this one, but it also bugs me. Certain songs, usually long songs, have endings that are as much a part of the song's appeal as the song itself...for example, Layla by Derek and the Dominos. At the end of this epic song, you hear Eric Clapton and Duane Allman trading licks back and forth, ending with Duane Allman's famous "bird-call" lick.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, listen to the song...or just take my word for it when I say it's awesome.

Well, guess what happens when this song is on the radio? The damn DJ comes in right before the bird-call lick and starts yappin' their trap and/or fading the song out before the lick is played!! Why play a 7 minute song on the radio, and cut the last 3 seconds of it?!? That makes me mad!! I WANT TO HEAR THAT LICK! Same thing with Dire Straits Sultans of Swing (cool ending solo stuff), or Zepplelin's Stairway to Heaven etc...

If I am going to sit through 6 or 7 or 10 minutes of a song (hello, November Rain!!), then at least give me the pleasure of hearing the whole song!!

4. Third-World Countries

Can someone explain this? I've never heard of First-World or Second-World Countries (I'm sure there are both, but which countries fall in that class?), but you hear all about the Third-World. I'm just confused!

5. Listen to the Bass go BOOM

You know what I'm talking about here...car rollin' down the street, windows down (even if it's 20 degrees out) and the bass of the car's stereo is jacked so high, and is so loud, that the windows on surrounding buildings are rattling. What is the purpose of this? Ladies, does this turn you on? Does it give the guy in the Honda Civic "street cred?" Maybe I'm just old fashioned (or old, either way) but I think this is ridiculous!! No one wants to hear your stereo that loud booming...it's not cool. And pull your pants up while you're at it.

5a. Air Bud

People, dogs cannot play basketball. Dogs cannot play soccer. Dogs cannot play football. Get over it!! (This goes for all the crazy animals doing human stuff movies such as that one with Joey from "Friends" and the baseball playing monkey.)

That's all for now...I'm glad I got that out of my system!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have good points, T. First of all Johnny naturally plays better because God is on his side! Come on that is a no brainer! Number two, you will have to ask Hank about the head shaving thing. Number 3, you are on your own about the third world countries. Number four, I TOTALLY agree about the DJ's cutting off the end of the song, why? Number five, when you are young you THINK it is cool to drive around with the bass booming. When you actually mature you realize that it is not cool. Thanks for making me think about things. Sue

Unknown said...

LYRICS!!! The one I can't stand is IMAGINE. For example, imagine there is no religion. Someone should shoot the godless communist that wrote that one. And I imagine you are thinking that just 'cuz I am in the big house, the gray bar hotel, the slammer, unjustly convicted of a heinous crime that I am not entitled to an opinion. Well white bread, until the Mexicans complete their invasion of this country this is still the US of A and everyone is entitle to one. I could go on and on in adfinitum but I won't.

A Lonesome Negro

Anonymous said...

Tony, a little late but here's your answer to the question about second and third world countries...they're classified based on the amount of garbage they produce per capita per year. Peope in third world countries don't have much "stuff" don't throw much away. First world countries typically have a high volume of trash per capita.

And I'll add a couple of things I'll never understand about radio:

1- Do they listen to each other or is there just some random person calling all the stations in the listening area and requesting the same song. I'm not just talking about the new hot songs because I have a tendency to change stations frequently and it never fails...if I hear a song I haven't heard on the radio in the last 10 years, when I flip to another station playing the same genre I'll hear the same song. It's the same across all genres.

2- Why does every radio station feel the need to tell their audience they play more music per hour than their competing radio station between every song? And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that an advertisment for their station? They might not get paid for it, but it's still an "interruption". Why torture the listeners because your sales reps suck?