Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Shed-volution

For the past couple of weeks, Becky and I decided to overhaul our shed, with the excellent help of my mom and dad. Before, it was a run down, dirty, beast of a shed, but we dedicated ourselves to making it beautiful once more.

Now that we are very nearly finished (we still have some painting to do), I thought I would share the results.

DAY ONE:

We started on the back yard side of the shed.
(Before - backyard side of shed)

I had to brace the inside walls, as the people who put the shed up put the studs every 32 inches instead of every 16. After that, I began demolition. I tore our the entire front and re-sheeted it. Big D (my dad, for those of you not in the know) then cut out the opening for a window, we swapped out the door for a new one and we began some siding.
(Backyard Side Shed - Day one.)

DAY TWO:

On day two I was flying solo, so I only finished the siding on the backyard side. I wanted to pace myself, and it was, like, 100 degrees out.
(Finished Backyard Side Shed...still
needs some paint on the trim.)

DAY THREE:

Day three was a Monday, so Becky and I had to get what we could finish done after we got home from work. I decided to do the outside side of the shed.
(Before: Outside Side of Shed)

Mom had pulled all the vines and crap off the wall when she was over, so that was out of the way. I then removed the window (as this window faces a business, and I don't need people looking in my shed window from the alley or the business). This task was fairly straight forward. Remove the window, board up the hole, and, well, that's it. I didn't take the sides off here, because they were in good shape. We just sided over them.
(After: Outside Side of Shed)

DAY FOUR/FIVE:

We had to wait for Friday to roll around before we started day four. Why? We needed to call in the big guns. Dad actually took a day off (isn't he the best?!?) to come and prep the back side of the shed.
(Before: Back Side of Shed.)

This was the biggest part of all. Big D began the process while I was at work. He took the old garage door off, and began making a casing for the new doors to sit on (you can see the excellent work in the After photo below!) After that set (overnight), I removed the old wood, while Big D framed in the new doors. The new doors went in on the first try, because my dad is super-awesome with that kinda stuff! We re-sheeted the back, and called it a night.
(First day of Back Side of Shed renovation.)

DAY SIX:

Becky and I attacked the back side of the shed after work, and make some good progress the first day. We put up trim, painted, and did some prep for the siding.
(Second Day of Back of Shed Renovation.)

DAY SEVEN:

On day seven, we finished the back of the shed, and wow, what a difference!!
(Finished back of shed.)

DAY EIGHT:

We now began to work on the carport side of the shed.
(Before: Carport Side of Shed.)

Big D had cut a window in the carport side earlier in the festivities, so Becky and I once again began to attack the siding. When we got to the top, we stopped so Dad could add a 1 x 6 trim at the top.
(After: Finished Carport Side of Shed.)






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got to see the creation and I have to say I am impressed. In fact, I'm going to ask to move into it next week. All it needs is some central air and a TV.

Anonymous said...

When are you coming over to redo my house? You should go on TV! It looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! It looks nice. Your projects always turn out so well. Let's see if I have any projects for you. Keep up the good work! Sue

Jaime said...

We need to hire you! Chris and I really need a shed. What do you charge?! It looks great.