Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thumb: An Update

At 4 weeks post-break, I was confident the doctor would pull the pin from my broken thumb. I was ready to get that stupid thing out, bend my thumb a few times, and get ready for the upcoming co-ed volleyball season.

If only it were that easy.

The doctor threw the first curve ball at that very 4 week visit, saying he wanted to wait one more long, agonizing week before he would take the pin out. I was frustrated, but in the grand scheme, it was probably for the best. After all, a re-injury would have put me on the shelf for the whole co-ed season, and that couldn't happen.

After the 7 days, I returned and steeled my nerves for the pin removal. I was expecting a shot to numb, and then a highly specific tool to come in and slide the pin from my thumb using the yellow ball on the tip as the main gripping point. Quick, easy, painless.

Little did I know, it wasn't going to be quick, easy or painless.

I sat, worrying about the removal for about a half hour before the doctor came in. It was time, he said, reaching into a cabinet for that highly specific tool I spoke of...only it wasn't a highly specific tool. It was a pair of pliers.

A PAIR OF PLIERS!!

He unscrewed the yellow ball from the pin, which was my second surprise, but not the worst surprise, which was about to come. He started coming towards me with the pliers.

"Wait a minute, doc...no numbing shot?" I nervously asked.

"Oh, no. You won't need that." he smiled.

"This is going to hurt, isn't it?" my nerves began to show, I began to sweat.

"Nah, I do this all the time on little kids, and they never mind the feeling." he reassured me.

He locked onto the pin and began sliding and twisting the pin out. I felt woozy. When he got the the last quarter inch, he yanked the pin free. I nearly fell off the table. Did it hurt? Oh yeah. Not really bad, I guess, it was just an odd pinching, suction type feeling of a PIN SLIDING OUT OF MY BONE BY THE USE OF PLIERS!!

The hole began to leak blood, but neither the doctor or nurse seemed to care, so I held my thumb over the carpet and waited for it to drip down. The nurse caught it before it did, barely. The doctor said goodbye, and left. I had to ask for a band-aid to stem the blood flow.

They sent me over to Physical Therapy, where I desperately tried to bend my thumb, but could not. Not even a little. Nothing. I guess it was pinned straight for a month.

Co-ed season began a few weeks later, and I was sidelined. One match, two matches, three matches. I was exploding inside. My team was holding it down, only losing 1 of 9, so I couldn't complain, but I wanted to play. I returned to the doctor, and he said:

"I would like to wait another 5 weeks (12 weeks total)."

Me: *jaw dropping silence

Doc: "If this was your profession, we would get you out there quicker, but since it's just recreation, I think you should wait at least 10 weeks."

Me: "Recreation?? You obviously don't know how important this is, and you've obviously never seen me play!"

Doc: "Well, the break has healed really well, but if you get jammed one time on the tip, it could re-break before the 12 weeks, when it should be fully healed."

Me: *grinding teeth to avoid cussing

Doc: "Since it looks good, maybe 8 to 10 weeks..."

Me: *stern look at doc

Doc: "...Or whatever you feel comfortable with. It does look good, just be careful."

I chose 7 1/2 weeks to return. It felt comfortable. I played only back row the first game, and three quarters of the second game. I couldn't resist playing the whole third game, however.

I made a conscious effort to not think about the thumb. I set a few balls, took a few serves with my hands, and even dove for a few. No prob. I was a bit sheepish when I would jump to block, once I even jumped with only my right hand...guess I'm still a bit gun shy.

We won all three that night, and all three the next match. Tonight, we play Big Country, the man who broke my thumb, and his team. I am not scared*.

(*who am I kidding?!? I AM scared!)

The thumb feels great, and I'm ready to continue on. Hopefully, the break will fully heal, making the chance of re-injury "next to impossible" the doctor said.

"Sounds like a challenge," Big Country said.

Have mercy!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

T,
I hope everything is still going well with your thumb. You are a brave man! Sue