Thursday, January 29, 2009

The MySpace/Facebook Dilemma

Over the past few months (or more depending on who you talk to), I have become an avid fan of both MySpace and Facebook. For those of you not in the know, these are sites on which you can make a page and keep in touch with old friends, acquaintances, bands, actors/actresses, etc.

I first got on MySpace, which I think I still prefer, a few years ago when my friend, Chris, told me about his band Pax Astra's page. After burning up his page and listening to his songs over and over (love the music, truly!!) I decided to get a page of my own...then, to make a long story short, Facebook came along and a lot of my MySpace friends and others that I knew and wanted to reconnect with seemed to make the move to Facebook.

I succumbed.

I try to limit myself to people I know, and not accept people just trying to "make new friends" because that's kinda silly, I think. I will admit to a few caveats to that rule...I have a few bands, and such...don't judge me!!

It seems that recently, I've been getting friend requests from people I knew, but not really. People that I wasn't friends with, or even friendly with for that matter. I'm sure some people have accepted me on the basis of "I'll accept him, because I knew of him," but I really try to only ask people to be my friend, if I thought they were my friend...

So, the question is, what is the etiquette on this? Just ignore them? Accept them?? I think I will Ignore for now, until someone makes me feel bad about it, then I'll open the flood gates. I just can't justify it...what do you guys think??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony,
I am not a good one to ask because I am totally against MySpace and Facebook. I think they can just get you into trouble. I just keep in touch with email. Sue

Anonymous said...

Tony,
Like Sue, I do not partake in the MySpace/Facebook world either. However, I think that the whole point of these social networks is to keep in contact with people you actually want to keep in contact with. You shouldn't feel guilty about not accepting a friend request of a person that you haven't thought about in many, many years--besides it sounds like those are the types of people who just want to seem cool by having 389 friends. No one has 389 friends in real life though.
Nellie
P.S. How could you let a measly little 2 pound hamburger defeat you? (Sorry feeling snarky today)

Gillespie said...

Sue: I disagree with you about Facebook/Myspace. It CAN get you into trouble, but I do not believe it can ONLY get you in trouble. If used responsibly, it is a nice way to find old friends and get back in touch.

Nellie: You're right about the social networking aspect of things, and people exploiting their "friends" just to have an inordinate amount of "friends." That's where you get into trouble. You're right, no one has 389 real friends, especially me. I have 49 friends on MySpace...but not 49 friends in real life. I don't think I even know 389 people. (PS...Unless you skinny yourself down here and eat the 2 pound burger, I recommend you not judge!! Besides, I still contend it wasn't the burger, it was the Mayo...rest assured, in a few weeks I WILL finish the 2 pounder at Denny's Beer Barrel Pub because a tee shirt is on the line there!!)