Tuesday, January 27, 2009

To Honk, or Not To Honk

Sometime in the modern era, it became a known practice to honk your horn if the car in front of you doesn't go when the traffic light switches from red to green. You all know what I'm talking about, right? Give the driver a little courtesy honk?

Anyway, it's a known practice.

The other day, as Becky and I rounded the corner, we came to a red light with one car in front of us. As the light turned to green, the car in front of us didn't move. I wanted to give the courtesy honk, but I was scared. You see, my friends, the car in front of me was a police officer.

Becky: "Honk the horn!"

Me: "No way, man, it's a cop!"

Becky: "So, just do it!"

Me: "No way, he's gonna arrest me or something!"

Becky: "For what? Telling him the light is green?"

Me: "Well, disturbing the peace or something, you never know!"

Becky: *shifts impatiently

Me: *starting to reach for the horn..."I can't, I just can't!"

The police car starts to go through the light, ending our ordeal after what seemed like forever, but in reality was only about 10 seconds.

Me: "Would you have honked?"

Becky: "I don't know, probably not."

Me: *sideways glance. followed by eye roll.

The question is, good friends, would YOU have honked? I bet not...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honk at me and all you are going to see is a BIG BLACK SMOKE SCREEN!!!!!!!!!

BC

Anonymous said...

T,
I would not have honked! Do you wonder though what would have happened if you did?

Sue

Jaime said...

My sis is an officer there. From what I know about that town, I am not sure I would have honked. Was it her?! If it ever is, drop my name if she gives you trouble! :)

Gillespie said...

BC...everyone knows to leave the big dog alone!!

Sue...I honestly don't think anything would have happened, but you never know!!

Jaime...i'm all about name dropping to get out of trouble!!