Sunday, January 01, 2012

I'm Fixin' A Hole

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who do, and those who have done for them.

Generally speaking, I am in the second group. I am not very handy, but I've never really tried, either. When you have a dad who is good at everything, it's easy to get lazy and pick up the phone instead of the crescent wrench...not that I could tell you what a crescent wrench was.

I've decided to change that. I'm not sure why, really. Maybe it's because I'm a guy. Maybe it's because I feel bad because I feel like I'm taking advantage of my dad's good nature. Maybe it's because I have a son now, and I want to be able to do for him, what my dad has done for me. Whatever the reason, I decided I need to put the years of knowledge that I learned while holding the flashlight for dad to the test.

I decided to start small. A drywall problem in the bathroom by the shower. Normally, I would expect this to take numerous trips to Lowe's, and several hours. So, I tried to do my planning ahead of time to make sure I had all the things I would need.


(As you can see, the wall was in deseperate need of repair.)

I made my list, I made my plan, I made one trip to Lowe's. Of course, I was there for an hour or so and didn't find what I was looking for (some sort of plexi type guard to prevent future rot), but I was confident I had what I needed at home.

The first thing I did was carefully cut out the troubled section of drywall, being careful to not disturb the surrounding wall. I measured, and, amazingly, cut out a perfect replacement piece!


(Measure once, cut twice?? Not this time!!)

I cut the corner tape away from the far wall, and replaced the seam and spackled it all up. Since I couldn't find a corner piece, or a plexi equivilent, I decided to use one of those black rubber trim pieces that you typically find in high schools.


(Hey, it's not pretty, but it's effective!)

A quick coat of white paint, some caulking around the seams...



A few more coats of paint, and voila!! A completed repair!! To my surprise, it only took a couple hours (mainly dry time), one trip to Lowe's, and under $20.



Next up, fix my car's CD player!!

No comments: