Thursday, January 19, 2012

Super Hero

Being a Super Hero is a large responsibility.

Not only do you have to save the world from evil, you also have to look good in some goofy outfits. Spandex?? Not for me.

Before Tuesday, I had never done anything I would consider Super Hero-ish. Never really thought about starting, either. The world, after all, has lots of Heroes...politicians, actors, Lady GaGa...

I awoke Tuesday like any other day. Woke up, kissed my little boy, and popped some ibuprofen. We went to lunch with my dad, then to Wal Mart. At this point I was still blissfully unaware of my new calling. Soon, I would know.

I parked and exited my car. The wind swirled briskly, nearly removing my hat. It was unseasonably warm for a January day. I pulled my hat down, and worked my way over to get Hendrix from his car seat. I unbuckled his belt and lifted him to my hip. He flinched at the blowing wind.

I moved nimbly towards the entrance. To my left, about 50 yards away, a tan mini van lumbered towards me. To my right, danger lurked! The wind had gained enough power to propel an errant cart down the lane in front of the store. The cart wasn't just rolling...it seemed to racing with a power usually reserved for rockets and such. I am truly shocked flames weren't coming from the sides.

I had to act fast. I had time to move, but the distance and the rate of speed of the cart would have made it virtually impossible for the tan mini van to negotiate and successfully navigate around the cart. There was sure to be a collision, and I couldn't let that happen!

Lots of things go through your mind when you are faced with an emergency situation: Should I just move? Should I intervene? Should I have spaghetti for dinner? It was a lot to process in a split second. I looked at Hendrix, and we mutually agreed that the evil flying cart had to be stopped. We braced ourselves for impact.

I stuck out my arm, I braced my back leg, I tightened my grip on Hendrix, who was still in my arms, head tucked under mine. The cart, by this time speeding at about 15-20 miles per hour, slammed into my outstretched arm. I buckled slightly, but held my ground. My shoes slid, creating a soft black scuff on the pavement (ok, that didn't happen, but it makes for some darn nice imagery!)

I swung the cart around and moved off the road and onto the sidewalk. The lady in the tan mini van pulled up beside me and thanked me for saving her van from the damage that was imminent. I assured her it was my pleasure, and I went about my day.

Wherever there is a cart bearing down on a mini van, I will be there. It is my Super Hero duty. I never felt like a Super Hero before Tuesday, but after the cart incident, I certainly do now!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job Tony!