Sunday, January 08, 2012

Jammed...NOT Jammin'!!

As I was cleaning out my car a month or so ago, Hendrix was up in the front seat doing his 3 year old thing. I wasn't really concerned, as I am pretty sure he can't start the car, shift into gear, and take off on a joy ride. What he can do, I quickly found out, was discover the slot that is my CD player.

And he found it with a mysterious grind and subsequent failure of any and all CD's I tried to play. It would just spin, grind, crackle and eject. ERROR!

I know about as much about cars as a fat kid knows about broccoli, so I did a Google search to find out how to even get into my CD player. It looked like the website was in French or something, (what the heck is a Torx screw anyway??) but I copied down the info, and went to the car.

After about 10 minutes of frustration with the inability to find an allen wrench the right size to unscrew a torx screw, I Googled an image of a torx screw, and realized it was square, not allen wrench sized (hexagon? octagonal? whatever!)


(Torx screw loosened, shifter removed!)

After that it was smooth sailing!!


(Remove the gear shift console panel.)


(Remove this thing...)


(And these pieces...I don't know the names, and you don't care anyway!)


(Finally, I got to the CD player!)

I popped it out of the dash, and pryed open the CD mouth, looked in and saw the culprit...


(.25 for all that work?)

It didn't just slide out, it was wedged in there! I had to get a long metal ruler and jimmy that bad boy out, but I got it, and I did it without any help! The Year of Doing, people!!

Gotta make sure Hendrix isn't left unsupervised in the front seat anymore, but if he does, at least I know what to do!

No comments: