Thursday, September 30, 2004

The Big Apple: Part 2: Millionaire

The instructions were simple:

1. No talking
2. 10 minutes, 30 questions
3. The questions go across the page, not down

We were told that the tests would be graded and the people who got a certain "grade" would be taken for interviews directly after the tests. Of course, they wouldn't tell us what that magic number was.

Then, it was go time. We all took the question sheets out and began feverishly filling in ScanTron boxes with our Who Wants to be a Millionaire pencils.

Unbeknown to most of us, the test was for us to be on the Celebrity Scoop version of Millionaire. I was excited, because celebrity is right up my alley!! The questions seemed simple for the most part, with a couple of thinkers thrown in.

Easy ones:
Who had "Winona Forever" tattooed on his body because of his romance with Winona Ryder?
Which former Beatle was stabbed in his home in 1999?
Which former Basketball player opened his own chain of Movie Theatres?

(Johnny Depp, George Harrison, "Magic" Johnson)

Thinkers:
1. Who was People Magazines first "Sexiest Man Alive"?
a. Mel Gibson
b. Sean Connery
c. Richard Gere
d. Harrison Ford

2. Whose ashes were sprinkled in space in 1997, after his death?
a. Yuri Gagarin
b. Timothy Leary
c. Alan Shepard
d. Elllison Onizuka

Well, I missed both of these.

1. a. Mel Gibson. (I think I answered b.)
2. b. Timothy Leary (Who knew?)

Anyway...the questions flowed and I know I got at least 22-25 correct, and after talking to a couple of people, I think my number was more like 26. 26 out of 30 ain't too bad! I asked Dan how he did, and he said he did decent, but not good enough (apparently celebrity is not his strong suit). I was confident they would call my number (#19). I even told Dan I was nervous about my impending interview.

Well, the numbers started flowing. 101, 55, 43...I was ready for them to say 19, but they never did. 12 people made it through, but Dan and I did not. We were told to have a nice day before being sent out the door. Oh well, at least I got a cool Who Wants to be a Millionaire pencil!!

up next...Did you think that I, the King of getting lost, would survive New York City without a detour of some sorts? HA!



No comments: