Thursday, September 09, 2004

In Pursuit of Trivia

I don't like to lose. Who does, really? But you know what I hate losing at? Trivial Pursuit. I hate losing at Trivial Pursuit...I loathe it...I abhor it...I detest it...I, well, a lot of other words that stand for hate, it.

Saturday, I took a slice of Humble Pie by losing a game of Trivial Pursuit to my biggest Trivia adversary, Dan. Dan was once my boss at IKON, and now is just a good friend whom Becky and I like hanging out with. He and his wife Tish frequent our house, and us theirs. We began a Trivial Pursuit rivalry that had me and Becky ahead 3 games to 1...that was going into Saturday.

The Place: Dan and Tish's house
The Time: Late
The Music: Hair Bands (on Sirrus, Satellite Radio)
The Game: Trivial Pursuit - 20th Anniversary Edition

Dan and Tish struck first, gaining the easy Pink widget (Entertainment). We followed with an Orange (Sports, Games). But then, they took off. Before we knew it, we were down 5 to 2...with their fifth slice being the games turning point piece.

The catergory was the Blue widget...which is a People and Places catergory. It usually involves Third world countries or political figures, and is typically the hardest catergory for the four of us, and this question was no different.

The Question:

What state do Senators Larry Craig and Mike Crapo hail from?

We all got a good laugh because of the name Crapo, then Dan and Tish got down to business, trying to whittle down the 50 states to make an educated guess. Hawaii was out, Indiana was out...ok, 48 left. Then Tish, who hadn't answered a question all game, makes a plea for one state:

IDAHO.

Why, you may ask, would she choose Idaho? Maybe she had remembered a story about Senator Craig? Maybe she had family in Idaho, and knew their senators? Maybe she's up on her politics? No...none of those. The reason, she explained...

"Idaho and Crapo rhyme, so let's go with Idaho."

Dan, not having a better guess, agreed. Becky had the card, and while she flipped it over, my laughter grew. Idaho, whatever!!

My laughter soon stopped, however, when she nodded that they were correct. I kicked the chair, stomped around the room, cursed a bit...almost cried at one point, almost left at one point, before I finally calmed down, swallowed a few "In your face"(s) from Dan, and slunk in my chair, and continued the game.

I was pretty much defeated at that point. Becky and I showed true heart by getting all 6 of our widgets and making a charge for the finish line. But in the end, Dan answered a Yakoff Smirnoff question, and the game was over.

I'm glad Dan was a gracious winner and didn't rub it in my face too much...wait a minute, yeah he did!! Here's the e-mail he sent me:

What's that I smell?

A little humble pie?

Or maybe it's widget pie.

Oh it is all the same, either way it smells like .....VICTORY! All this talk of pie is making me hungry...perhaps I will have a baked potato for lunch............You know the kind.....

from Idaho!!

Tony, I wrote you a little poem, I call it "Ode to whoopin yo' funky ass at Trivial Pursuit sucka" Like ta hear it, here it goes:

Tony went down to my house
He was lookin for a soul to steal
He was in a bind, and way behind,
And he was willin to make a deal.

Tony jumped up on a hickory stump,and said,
"Dan let me tell you what"
I bet'chu didn't know it But I'z a trivial playa too,
And I bet'cher soul against this widget of gold
Says I'm better than you.

Dan Says, "My name's BIGSEXXXAYSTADDADDYMOFO,
and it may not be cool,
but I'll take yer bet, yer gonna regret
cause' at Trivial Pursuit I rule.

"When we were finished Tony knew that he'd been beat,
And he laid that golden widget
on the ground by Dan's big feet.
Dan said, "Come on back,
if you ever wanna try again,
I done told you once,you big poop face,
I'z the best there'd ever been."

Oh, It's on like Donkey Kong now, kids!! He called down the thunder and now he's got it!! I will not lose again, mark my words!!

No comments: