Friday, September 17, 2004

A Pea-nutty Post

If you know me, then you know I have a lot of food related preferences...I don't really want to say fetishes, because that sounds so dirty. I am very particular with the way I eat things. For example, I porportion my food. At the end of the meal, I will have one bite of fries, one bite of burger...one bite steak to one bite potato...etc. I will lay out the intricate pattern of my madness at another time, the point is, I am weird.

One thing that a lot of people may find strange is I don't like corn (and, yes, I live in Indiana...corn country) and I absolutely HATE peanut butter. However, I do like Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. A hypocrite, you may ask? Everytime I enjoy a peanut butter cup, I get the ribbing from people about eating peanut butter...but is Reeses peanut butter really peanut butter? I am not so sure.

Ok, it looks like peanut butter...but crack open a Reeses and smell it, then smell some creamy Jif or Peter Pan. Doesn't smell the same to me. Look at the consistency. Definately not the same. Maybe that's it...maybe it's the creamy stick-to-your-mouthedness that I so detest. Where as Reeses is slightly hardened.

How is that even possible? And is Reeses peanut butter really different than regular? I checked the Hershey's website and they are tight lipped on the secret. I asked Jeeves and he only took me to sites about Reeses cups...he, however, would not tell me the secret of the Reeses cup. Where else could I turn? Where else!! Former Double Dare host Marc Summers and his new series, Unwrapped on the Food Network.

So, I click over to Unwrapped and quickly found the secret.

Yes, Reeses does really have peanut butter inside... BUT they mix it with salt and powdered sugar. Then they refrigerate or something, my ADD (ok, my laziness) kicked in and I got tired of reading.

What does this prove? That I am right and wrong. A peanut butter sandwich is repulsing because of the creaminess. A peanut butter cup is good because of the harder consistency and the dulling down of the peanut butter taste with powdered sugar.

I am convinced now that, in fact, they are two different food stuffs, and I can hold my head high that I do not like peanut butter, do like Reeses and I am not a hypocrite because of the distinction.

(all you naysayers out there saying nay should think about this...some people like the color red and the color blue, but not purple...well combine red and blue and you get purple. Same principle here. Peanut butter = yuck...PB with powdered sugar = yum. Reese is the purple of peanut butter!!

No comments: