Thursday, October 07, 2004

12/08/1980: R.I.P. Mr. Lennon

What were you doing on December 8, 1980? I was only 3 years old, so I can't honestly say...but that was the day the music truly died.

Five gun shots.

One hit nothing.

Four ripped into a musical genius.

The man who killed John Lennon (whose name I will not justify by typing) was up for parole this week. After having killed a legend, he only received a 20 years to life sentence. Not "Life without Parole", or the "Death Sentence"...20 years to life.

A possibility for parole. It just doesn't seem right.

However, the light shining on this story is that the man DID NOT get paroled. Probably good for him. Who would want anything to do with the "man who killed John Lennon?" Nobody.

What could have been? What if John were still alive, writing music? Like him or not, the man was a genius in the art of music...he was one of the most influential musicians of all time...and his music was like nothing anyone has ever done. So ahead of it's time, yet, so classic, so fresh, so raw and different.

Listen to the popular songs...Imagine... Watching the Wheels... (Just Like) Starting Over... Jealous Guy...

Then listen to the songs that aren't on the radio...Oh, My Love... Old Dirt Road... Steel and Glass... Nobody Told Me... My Life... Isolation... I Found Out...

You can't replace that. You just can't.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the greatest musicians of all time.... what could have been--? Sadly now we can only "imagine".

Jammie J. said...

He was a musical genius. Truly. I get outraged, too, by the fact that when someone kills another they oftentimes get a chance for parole. But then I think to myself, how much more punishing is it for the prisoner to hope that he has a chance of getting out only to be denied.

The smashing of hope can be very punishing. Deservedly so in those instances.

So long as they *never* get out, I am okay with it.