Thursday, October 28, 2004

For Those Who Inspire, Especially My Dad

It seems only fitting to add a post in honor of the Boston Red Sox. World Series Champions for the first time in 86 years. But, I'm not going to do that. Sure, I'm going to mention it here, because it was an improbable victory...86 year drought...down 3-0 to the Yankees in the ALCS...winning that series 4-3...sweeping the Cardinals...

Inspiring to say the least. But, all that being said, I just wanted to hit one more time on the guts that Curt Schilling displayed. He pitched game 2 on a Frankensteined right ankle, allowing only 4 hits in 6 innings. When interviewed, Schilling said when he woke up, he couldn't even walk.

Only a few people have inspired me like this with their determination.

Schilling (who also inspired back in 2001 when he pitched 3 World Series games...games 1, 4, and 7).

Randy Johnson, who in 2001 pitched game 2 and game 6 of the World Series, and then shocked everybody by coming in to finish game 7, retiring all 4 batters he faced.

Michael Jordan. I mean, come on. Jordan did everything in basketball, and I don't care what you say, his coming back to basketball for the Wizards was GREAT. I think of him every time I step on the volleyball court, and how he had knee surgery at age 40, and still went out and made the Wizards a decent basketball team. This guy is amazing.

Lance Armstrong. After beating cancer, he has won 6 Tour de France cycling races. Amazing. (and if you want to talk about the rumors of illegal drugs, go find the Balco website and leave the Armstrong comments to yourself!!)

Andre Dawson. This guy deserves more credit than he ever received. He played in the Major Leagues for 21 seasons, despite having knees so bad he would have to get pain shots daily just to hobble out on the field, he won 8 Gold Gloves in Right Field, made 8 All Star appearances, and is one of only 4 men to have 300 Home Runs and 300 Stolen Bases in his career. Maybe the most underrated baseball player of his, or any, time.

The last, and most important, is my dad, Dave Gillespie. This guy is a true inspiration. He's played volleyball for longer than I've been alive...and basketball...and soccer...and golf...and softball...and, well, you name it and he's played it (except maybe hockey, but, come on...it is Indiana). He's 55 and he still laces up the volleyball shoes 3-5 nights a week and plays at a very competitive level. He may have lost a step, but consider this...he's 55, he has been told that he needs a total hip replacement (which he opted not to do yet, due to the fact he would outlive it at his age), he's been playing for 30+ years.

But, despite all that, he's STILL A SMARTER PLAYER THAN MOST! If you need a play to happen, he will make it happen. Last night, for example, he hit the front row. We were playing to 21, rally scoring, and the score was 19-19. While he was in the front row, he tooled one blocker for a point (hit it off his hands and out of bounds) and rolled a shot into the back corner for a point. It was truly crunch time, and he delivered.

He still blocks, hits, passes nails (that's a good thing), and he cleans the gym floor nightly by diving to make the impossible, possible with amazing defensive plays. He has inspired me as a player to concentrate on my All-Around game, like he has. He also has inspired me to give 100% on the court at all times. I just look over at him next to me on the court and it doesn't matter if i'm tired, cause I know he's tired...it doesn't matter if I'm hurting, cause I know he's hurting...it doesn't matter if we are down, because I know he's thinking we can win...and so am I. He's also made me a better person outside of the game because of his humility, his generosity, and his compassion. He is truly one of the good guys in this world...a world that is better for having had him in it.

No matter how good it feels to watch Jordan play basketball, or to see Schilling take the mound with the bum ankle, it will never compare to the feeling I get when I look and see my dad playing his heart out game after game on the volleyball court right next to me. It's the greatest feeling in the world.

No comments: