Tuesday, October 05, 2004

No, Dear

There's a tv show on CBS currently called Yes, Dear. Maybe some of you have heard of it, maybe some have not. Well, for those of you not in the know, the show is about a married couple who lets the wife's sister and brother-in-law move into their guest house because the sister and bro-in-law have fallen on hard times.

To make a long story short, I will jump ahead to my question:

The brother-in-law, played by Mike O'Malley, is CONSTANTLY wearing a hat. Always. At the house, hat. At work, hat. At the dentist, hat. (ok, maybe he doesn't at the dentist, but you get the idea.) This is bothering me a lot. I can't even watch the show because this guy and his stupid hats!! Truth be told, I can't watch the show because the show really isn't that good, but damn his hats...they just don't help.

I thought maybe this guy is just a hat fan because of his character. Middle Aged, balding, sport nut kinda guy. Ok, hats, I get it. But then I had the pleasure (or displeasure) of watching 28 Days with Sandra Bullock, and who would appear on the screen? Mike O' Malley. AND HE STILL HAD THE HAT ON!! Can you believe this!

Why does this guy insist on the hat? It's one of the great tv mysteries of all time.

1. Why does Mike O'Malley constantly wear a hat?
2. Why did Jerry Seinfeld walk away?
3. Why can't Elaine, George or Kramer have a new sitcom that lasts more than a season?
4. Why did the Fonz "Jump the Shark"?
5. Will Kevin and Winnie Cooper ever hook up?
6. Why would you try to base a tv show around Bob Saget?
7. Why did those shows (Full House, Funniest Videos) actually do well?
8. Why did the 6 Brady Kids stay in two rooms? (see previous post)
9. Why don't those Simpson kids ever grow up?
10. How old is Mr Burns anyway? How about Ned Flanders?

Ok, so these obviously aren't the greatest tv mysteries of all time. But they are things that baffle the mind. But, if you ever see this guy on Yes, Dear without a hat, make sure to let me know, because then I would have to write a post about why he DIDN'T have his hat on in that show.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. So he can make people like you wonder why?
2. From Where?
3. Because they are lousy actors?
4. It was way past time for the demise of Happy Days
5. Who?
6. Mind altering drugs?
7. Didn't know they did.
8. Already asked and answered.
9. Because they are cartoons dummy? (hee hee)
10. a. He said it himself he's 81, or is he?
b. Howdily-doo he's 52 he was raised by beatniks I thought

Anonymous said...

you knew. (rest of 10 b... I hit the publish key in error.)

Anonymous said...

you knew. (rest of 10 b... I hit the publish key in error.)

Gillespie said...

Because they're bad actors! Ha...they have an amazing chemistry together, though.

Kevin and Winnie Cooper...you know, the Wonder Years? Wow, where have you been? ha ha

On the Simpsons, "Oldest Person in Springfield" episode, the oldest man is given an award by Britney Spears. When she gives him a kiss, he falls down and dies. They need a new oldest person, so they ask everyone over the age of 50 to stand up. Ned is standing. Over 60? Still standing. Over 70? Ned sits down. When they get to over 100, Mr Burns is still standing. This begs the question...How old are these guys?

(Please, no answers of "they are as old as the series, because they are cartoons." I already had the Cartoon Card played on me for my Simpson Kids question!!)

Jammie J. said...

I can't watch Yes, Dear, either. It bugs me. And, for the record, I don't love Raymond. Although, apparently everyone else does.

Anonymous said...

Ned is lying. Either about his age (like he should have sat down a lot sooner) or about the fact that he was raised by "freaky beatniks". If he came of age in the late 60's early 70's which he would have had to have done to have had beatnik parents... he can't be much over 50. I mean Maynard G. Krebs a.k.a Gilligan is himself what.. 69? and he was a beatnik.... so a child of his could not be 70, or 60 even. So I say Flanders is 52 at most.

I have a question for you... Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Anonymous said...

Ned is lying. Either about his age (like he should have sat down a lot sooner) or about the fact that he was raised by "freaky beatniks". If he came of age in the late 60's early 70's which he would have had to have done to have had beatnik parents... he can't be much over 50. I mean Maynard G. Krebs a.k.a Gilligan is himself what.. 69? and he was a beatnik.... so a child of his could not be 70, or 60 even. So I say Flanders is 52 at most.

I have a question for you... Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Anonymous said...

Why is it that when I publish a commment it shows up twice on your blog? I don't hit "publish" twice. Any idea what is going on?

Gillespie said...

I really have no idea why your posts are coming up twice...I wondered that myself.

And to your question...I don't even have kids and I know who lives in a pinapple under the sea!! Heck, even my dad knows!! (I know this because he offens sings the song for no apparent reason...that's why ya gotta love my dad!!)

I guess the big mystery to that isn't WHO lives in a pinapple, but rather, why a pinapple? A pinapple... under the sea? Are you kidding me?

Gillespie said...

Oh, yeah...and Ned Flanders a liar? BLASPHEMY!! You do have a good point, though.

Jammie J. said...

I thought it was a New York thing, sounded so nice you published it twice? Ha ha! No, it is Blogspot. They are messed up.

Anonymous said...

Kids?? Sponge Bob is for kids!?!?!? I sing the song all the time too. well not all the time. What really bothers me though is Sandy.. I mean, a squirrel, from Texas, under the sea, near what we can assume is Bikini Atoll..... (that's where they get the name Bikini Bottom, right?) How weird is that?

But really tho, isn't Sponge Bob just the cutest thing?