Monday, August 23, 2004

The Bronze

Becky and I were watching the Olympics the other day, and a thought came to mind. I asked Becky if she thought the Bronze medal winners were upset that they didn't do better? (Yes, I am aware that out of 50 gabillion people in the world, they came in third, but that's not what I mean. I mean, they work their behinds off, train for this one chance, and end up losing by such a narrow margin.)

Of course, at this point I had already answered my own question. While some (like the Koreans in the All-Around Gymnastics final) are probably a bit dissapointed, I'm sure for the most part, every one finds it gratifying to even get a medal of any color (or metallic composition.)

Then I remembered, I once had been in that position. My first White River State Parks Games (which is like Indiana's version of the Olympics). Our volleyball team had won the chance to play in the tournament by winning a Regional competition. Well, we actually came in second, but we still qualified. We were competing in the High School division, and it was one of the first (and only) volleyball competitions that most of our team had ever played in.

To make a long story short, we ended up not making it to the Gold Metal match...but we did make it to the Bronze medal match, which we won. Was I upset about not making the Gold match? Hell yes!! But I was only 15 or 16 at the time. I do remember winning the Bronze and feeling good about it. (Yes, it was an actual Medal).

I feel much more pride now about that medal, because in retrospect, our team really sucked and to win anything was momumental. But I feel good about the bronze we won the year after that...the Championship medal we won in '95 for winning the Michiana Region USVBA Finals...the medal I won with Shannon in the Doubles Finals in Louisville...the medal we won in '98 for winning the Michiana Region USVBA finals...the medal for Second Team Outside Hitter in '98...

Medals, trophies, awards, etc all mean something. Be it Gold, Silver or Bronze. I am truly blessed to have won a few in my time, because a lot of people never get that opportunity. And not many get the opportunity to compete in the Olympics...but I bet just competing in such a high caliber event means more than anything...even the color of the medal they get (if they get one at all.)

No comments: