Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Volleyball: Season 14

September is fast aproaching, kids, and you know what that means? Oh, you don't know what that means? Dang...I was hoping you did know, because I really don't, either.

Ok, so, of course, September marks the beginning of the indoor Volleyball season. As of my last talks on volleyball, I think I was on the fence as to whether I would journey forward into my 14th season. The answer is a resounding YES. I am pumped and excited to start this season off with a bang. Men's league starts in the 'Burg in September, and Co-ed at Cera starts soon after. These leagues should be great motivation and preparation for the big House of Pain Volleyball comeback...as we are prepared to tackle USA Volleyball one more time.

This year should be (hopefully) a lot better for me in terms of my physical well being. I am so tired of going out, playing a match, and not being able to walk until the next week. So this year, I have started a month long conditioning program, that should help strenghten my legs, and put less stress on my ailing knees. My first workout was yesterday, and all went well. I hope that come September, I will be in decent form...at least in good enough shape to contribute.

My plans for the leagues are simply to play the best I can, and hopefully get in playing shape for USA. Then, in USA, I will make the decision as to whether I want to play full time, or be the Libero. I'm leaning towards the latter.

(For those of you who aren't in the know, a Libero is a player that plays only back row. They come into the back row on a break in the action for the player who just served- Libero's cannot serve-then they play across the back row. They sub out when it is their turn to rotate into the front row, then return to that game after the new server serves. Basically put, the Libero plays the whole game, subbing in for two players on the court who are opposite each other (i.e. the server and the strong side hitter, only exiting the game when the people he subs for serves.)

Clear as mud? Let's just call the Libero a Defensive Speciallist who plays only the back row. That makes it easier.

I will keep you up to date on my progress. I am determined to do my conditioning EVERY DAY. I will let you know daily if I have acomplished this task (except for Saturday and Sunday, when I don't post...in which case I will fill you in on Monday as to whether I did the workout on those days.)

My first day of training, yesterday, was a "welcome back" day of training. Meaning? I took it easy as to not over do it. The workout consisted of lots of stretching, 8 minutes on the eliptical machine (which is harder than you might think), squats, light plyometrics, leg lifts, and some light weights (for upper body strenght).

Tonight, I hope to increase all the workouts...more reps, more sets, and more eliptical. Wish me luck, and I'll let you know!!

No comments: