Friday, July 02, 2004

Retiring?

Yesterday, I was watching ESPN, as I offen do in the spare minutes I have when Becky isn't around to tell me to turn the channel. Anyway, they were showing coverage of Wimbledon, and talking about how this may be the last Wimbledon for Lindsey Davenport.

To make a long story short, the analyst said Davenport was going to retire because "she doesn't care if she loses anymore. It doesn't bother her to lose." Wow, that hit me hard. As a guy who has played volleyball for 13 years, and has struggled to keep going with the pain of bad knees, it really made me think about things.

I am a hugely competetive guy. I love to give it all I have. But I can relate to what that analyst was saying. I don't mind losing anymore either...or do I? Maybe I'm not testing myself enough. Playing in some leagues where we always win like Ceraland (sorry Shannon)...the 4 team G-Burg men's league...

I still don't want to lose those leagues, but it's for reputation reasons more than "I want to win." When all else boils away, I think it comes more to love of the game, than it does winning or losing for me. I would rather play and lose, than not play. It's not really true that I don't mind losing. Against certain people, no, I don't. But when I play someone younger than me, I don't want to lose...It makes me feel like some cocky, punk kid thinks he better than me. (They may not even be cocky or punks). I also don't like losing to Shannon...(bragging rights).

So, Ms. Davenport, hang up your racket if the love's not there. I will continue to play at least until D retires...So I guess you all have to see me at least another 20 years!!

No comments: