Thursday, July 01, 2004

TONY'S TOP 5 GREATEST VOLLEYBALL MEMORIES #5

I've played volleyball since I was 13. That's a long time (not as long as Big D has played, but you get the picture.) I was sitting here, trying to remember the best moment in my career of the sport, and I found it hard to narrow down to just one. So, I submit to you, dear readers:

TONY'S TOP 5 GREATEST VOLLEYBALL MEMORIES OF THE PAST 13 YEARS

#5. SHOWDOWN AND THROWDOWN

In my illustrious career, it seems one thing is constant: My team is always getting in confrontations with the opposing teams. Verbal barages, fighting, if you will. The first real fight I can remember, came at the Columbus Armory. We were playing co-ed sixes, Me, Andy and Dad...

Our opponent: Jeff Case

ROUND 1: Jeff Case has a knack for running his trap, and D had more than he cared to take. (I have a feeling Andy's mouth had something to do with this, also...we Gillespie's stick up for our own.) Well, needless to say, D started feeding Jeff's verbal diarrhea back to him. Jeff started walking towards us, grabbed the net and propped it on top of his head, as if to say, "Let's go!!"

D was ready to throw down. Andy and I had to grab him and physically restrain him from knocking ole Jeff's dick in the dirt.

I recall another time things got heated.

ROUND 2: This time, the setting was Indianapolis. White River State Park Games 1996. Some Jamoak from one of the other teams was non-stop running his mouth. Well, my team was giving it back, of course. After the game, while D and I were jawing with this guy (I believe D's quote was..."I was reading the rule book when you were still shitting green...") my cousin, Scott Crank snuck up behind the guy, put his arm around him, starred him straight in the eye, and made off with a "Anytime you wanna go outside, let's go!" I believe the guy quickly stopped talking and retreated.

ROUND 3: Capitol...USVBA match. Again, some guy was running his mouth the whole game. At one point, he even moved the dividing net to help his team play a ball. We (big shocker) got pissed about it. The verbal barage was so heated, it ended with this guy calling D a name. Did I mention we Gillespie's take care of our own? Well, Shannon Burch and I took off under the net at the guy...he was just too fast for us, and the situation died down before we could catch him.

ROUND 4: Capitol again...USVBA match. That damn Hawaiian/Oriental looking guy was reffing, and he just plain sucked. The whole team was on him, except the team captain...D. Finally, D had enough and went, in a calm tone, and asked him what his call was. Dumb mo'fo' looked at D and screamed "SHUT UP!!" Once again, us Gillespie's take care of our own. I ripped into this guy with every swear word I could come up with, and then I started towards him...determined to rip him down off the ladder and tear him a new one. I was held back, he ran...long story short, no fisticuffs.

(Important sidenote: We've never actually came to any blows. Just talk.)

TONY'S TOP 5 GREATEST VOLLEYBALL MEMORIES OF THE PAST 13 YEARS

#4

More to come...

No comments: