Thursday, July 01, 2004

TONY'S TOP 5 GREATEST VOLLEYBALL MEMORIES #2

Let's cut to the chase:

TONY'S TOP 5 GREATEST VOLLEYBALL MEMORIES OF THE PAST 13 YEARS

#2: WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

The year was 1996, and the crew (D, Andy, and I) had branched away from our Raft to Rafters USVBA team, and formed our own crew. We added my cousin, Scott Crank, Terry Wullenweber, Bobby Brown, Larry Minger, and Don Barton.

I didn't realize how great that team would be. We won every tournament we played that year with a combination of young legs and the veteran leadership of D and the Batesville Crew. The most memorable moment, however, came in the final game of the Regionals.

We were playing Pepper Shak, a very strong team with whom we battled throughout the season. It was down to the wire. We had game point, and the serve. I was middle back, Andy was strong side, Scotty was the setter. For some strange reason, Pepper Shak decided to dink the ball...

It was strange because, why would you dink with me in the back row? (pat myself on the back.) I immediately broke for the ball, and with a full out diving stretch, threw down a full pancake. The ball popped up to a streaking Scott, who tossed a 5 out to Andy. The "A Bomb" detonated, and the Championship was ours. I let out a big scream as everyone rushed in for the celebration...

It always makes me happy to remember that play ended with a family attack...me to Scott to Andy. And the icing...D was right there with us.

Times have definately changed since those glory days...teams are tougher, you can set the serve, let serves, rally scoring, and the likes have all made it tougher. We won again in 98 with Hank Myers, Shannon Burch, Toby Paswater, and Joe Springmeyer...but the first time is always the greatest.

No comments: