Thursday, July 01, 2004

TONY'S TOP 5 GREATEST VOLLEYBALL MEMORIES #3

Yes, Devo facing Sam Koester was one moment that still makes me giddy when I think about it. Here is #3:

TONY'S TOP 5 GREATEST VOLLEYBALL MEMORIES OF THE PAST 13 YEARS

#3: DERBY FEST

Those of us with older siblings know that getting out from the shadow of said sibling can be a very difficult thing to do. I know this first hand, as I always felt inferior to my older brother, Andy, when it came to volleyball. (Of course, I am superior to him in all other ways, but I'll save that for another blog. ha ha).

Throughout my playing career, Andy was always "The Man". He won Player of the Year awards in USVBA, First team Outside Hitter, etc, etc...I won't go on, cause this post is about me, dang it!! Even though Andy was always "The Man", I knew I had some talent, but it was deep down inside. Then, there was Derby Fest, Louisville Kentucky, 1999 (I think).

Teri Cutter needed another guy for the day, and she called me up. I accepted. The team was Teri and Sammy Cutter, April McIntosh, Shannon Burch, Don Barton, Greg Richter and me. (Don, suffering with a bad knee, requested a 4th guy, in case he couldn't fininsh, if I am remembering corretly.)

We were doing well. A couple of close games, but nothing to write home about. Then, we got beat. It was a double elimination tourney, so our backs were against the wall. We really were playing stressed, and it showed. But then, the turning point in my entire career happened...thanks to April.

Confidence, I found, is a great thing. It makes a good player better, and a great player untouchable. I think Andy had it...but, being under his shadow, I lacked that confidence. We were getting beat, and April simply told me not to worry, to have fun, and a few other things that to this day I consider life changing. It was almost as if she removed the shadow from me, and I became the player and the man I am today.

I picked the team up. I was unstoppable at the net, and played viscious defense. Everyone else picked up their games, too, and the machine finally received some much needed oil. I felt like I could beat the world...

We won the game, beat the team twice in the finals, and I won my first trophy without Andy on the court. I know everyone played great, but it felt like I really stepped up and willed us to the victory. For the first time, I as "The Man."

Thanks, April.

TONY'S TOP 5 GREATEST VOLLEYBALL MEMORIES OF THE PAST 13 YEARS

#2

More to come...

No comments: